Uaru F. Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I don't think there is a lack of reliable information. Extremely low DOC like other blackwater fish and you should be fine. I treated mine like any other Heroine fish -- they would eat anything I gave them, they like warm water (84F+), lots of frequent water changes, and preferably a low pH with soft water. Once you get them through acclimation and you follow those guidelines they should be fine, just like wild discus, altums, Satanoperca, Hoplarchus, and various pikes (which come from similar water). It's finding healthy individuals to start with because most LFS and importers don't know how to properly acclimate and treat new arrivals.

A lot of experienced cichlid keepers in Europe are keeping them and they've been successfully bred by several people.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
I've hit all of those wickets. Tds is 45, ph is 5.2, temp is 86, 50% water changes every three days. I just can't get them to eat what I want them to eat. It was easier to break my bass than these guys.

ahud

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Don't forget that pH is a ratio and becomes less meaningful in really soft water. I would stick with RO and filter through peat and ignore pH. You will get a lot of water quality information by searching how people keep and breed black water Apistogramma.

I would not expose fish like these to other fish frequently (tetras/Pleco). Especially with disease issues prsent, as you can't rule out things you treated for prior to introducing new fish.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Don't forget that pH is a ratio and becomes less meaningful in really soft water. I would stick with RO and filter through peat and ignore pH. You will get a lot of water quality information by searching how people keep and breed black water Apistogramma.

I would not expose fish like these to other fish frequently (tetras/Pleco). Especially with disease issues prsent, as you can't rule out things you treated for prior to introducing new fish.
I'll look in to apistogramma breeding and see what it turns up. Thanks for the advice! I don't have any plans on changing their water up right now as they are doing well with it, besides the diet. As far as the other fish go, the tetras were in my tanks for months before they got put in with the pandas and while the pleco was a bit of a risk, it turned out really well and the fish is completely healthy.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
I've been fairly quiet for a while, so I figured I would give an update and ask for some help today. All is well in the panda tank. Parameters are as follows:
Tds 52
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
PH 5.2
Temp 87

Due to my work schedule and the relatively light bio load, I've stretched their water changes to 60% weekly. I've continued using muriatic acid to adjust ph because the tank has been very stable, and it takes 5 seconds to dose it. Additionally, every time I do a water change I put a small pile of substrate on one of the rocks they are constantly hovering over and it's usually cleaned off the next morning. Fun!

Now the help. I still can't get them on a steady diet. The just won't eat what I want them to. The only thing they really go after is worms, and they go after worms like they are starving. They refuse pellets completely, and they mostly ignore everything else usually only giving other food items a small nibble. After that, they pretend it isn't there. I've tried splirulina flakes, romaine, cucumber, zucchini, broccoli and peas. Nothing. This is something I HAVE to get sorted soon. I'll be going away for a few months soon and Paige Paige is going to be left to care for them. While she is more than capable, my goal has been to streamline all of our tanks maintenance and downsize where possible to make her already busy schedule a bit easier. I'm also concerned about the long term health of the fish. Eating so little for so long can't be good for them. I would really appreciate ANY advice.

GipsyFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2016
I have raised U. Amphiacanthoides from spotted fry to spawning adults. I think your pH is way low. I would stop the acid and see what happens.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I have raised U. Amphiacanthoides from spotted fry to spawning adults. I think your pH is way low. I would stop the acid and see what happens.
These are fernandezyepezi. They are blackwater fish that require low pH and low hardness.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Been a while since my last update, but I finally found something these guys will readily eat.

1477411047022616610080.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store