75 gallon tank mates

kiloindia

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2006
FL
I just bought a 75 gallon tank today replacing my broken 55. I currently have it stocked with 1 jack dempsey, 1 firemouth, 1 female convict, 1 auratus, 1 oscar, 4 silver dollars, and a featherfin catfish. I will be moving the auratus to another tank, and will be giving the oscar to my lfs once its a more substantial size and has a larger bioload. I was wondering what other tank mates i could get, preferably cichlids from sa/ca. I was considering an electric blue acara, or maybe a salvini or cuban cichlid. I was also considering a buttikoferi although it is an african but have heard their aggression is unreal. Im open to any and all suggestions!!

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
That 75g wil be way overstocked, I would reduce rather than add.

I suggest:

FM
JD
Convict

Maybe some schooling dither fish, but not silver dollars. They get too big and end up damaging themselves in a 4' tank.

A 75g is not even suitable for a Oscar or Butti full grown alone.

kiloindia

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2006
FL
That 75g wil be way overstocked, I would reduce rather than add.

I suggest:

FM
JD
Convict

Maybe some schooling dither fish, but not silver dollars. They get too big and end up damaging themselves in a 4' tank.

A 75g is not even suitable for a Oscar or Butti full grown alone.
Like I said I will be giving the oscar to my lfs once its larger. I also forgot to mention I will be moving the silver dollars into my 125. Any ideas for some other schooling fish?

Reactions: cichlidfish

kiloindia

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2006
FL
I was unsure of the maximum size of the butti, i suspected that wouldnt work out. However the electric blue acara is so beautiful, I would be willing to move some fish around to have that fish. Any suggestions that are based around that?

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Like I said I will be giving the oscar to my lfs once its larger. I also forgot to mention I will be moving the silver dollars into my 125. Any ideas for some other schooling fish?
Definitely a lot better. I made the mistake of having silver dollars in a 75g. They were 6" but kept getting spooked and ran into the sides of the tank.
You could try tiger barbs, or buenos Aires tetras. Do a school of 6.
A Butti can get quite big, up to 16-18" and very aggressive. In a 75g, it would kill all those fish.
A electric blue acara would probably be fine w/ the others.
IMO I wouldn't keep fish 12" and up in a 4' tank. You could probably be fine w/ the JD (maybe EBJD?), con, FM and EB acara. Just be sure to keep up on water changes and add good filtration. You'll be good.

kiloindia

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2006
FL
Thats sounds good I have an aquaclear 500, and fluval 303 im planning to switch over from the 55 and lots of great media. I did some reading on rainbow sharks, could those work if I went with the EB acara, JD, FM, convict and the featherfin cat. As I am fairly new to the hobby I am unsure what works, Ive read that its just trial and error with most fish. I was also considering a FM pair? Could this workout if i lost the convict?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Personally, depending on how your con and JD are, I'd go with something with slightly more attitude than an electric acara. The acara's tend to be pretty mild and the other fish you have are all CA cichlids which can be quite mean even at a small size. I'd recommend something more along the lines of a nicaraguense or a green terror. Don't get anything that will exceed 10-12ish inches. Like you said, it is mostly trial and error, but there are plenty of fish which you know will won't work right off the bat due to size or temperament (no Red devil/midas, jaguars, vieja, etc). Adding a pair also switches up the dynamics, and in a 75g with other tankmates, i wouldn't really recommend it.

Reactions: Jason_S

kiloindia

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2006
FL
Personally, depending on how your con and JD are, I'd go with something with slightly more attitude than an electric acara. The acara's tend to be pretty mild and the other fish you have are all CA cichlids which can be quite mean even at a small size. I'd recommend something more along the lines of a nicaraguense or a green terror. Don't get anything that will exceed 10-12ish inches. Like you said, it is mostly trial and error, but there are plenty of fish which you know will won't work right off the bat due to size or temperament (no Red devil/midas, jaguars, vieja, etc). Adding a pair also switches up the dynamics, and in a 75g with other tankmates, i wouldn't really recommend it.
I looked into the nicaraguense, i like it would you recommend a male or female? My JD is male, and my convict is hararassed by the firemouth but besides that is the filtration enough, ive read that it should be plenty turning over over 5 times an hour.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Male or female should be okay tbh, I'd pick a male personally. And your filtration sounds okay, though keep in mind your going to have to do weekly 30% water changes/gravel vacs no matter how much filtration you have. You'll find out how messy these fish can be

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store