My Umbee Growth journal

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Nice umbees
Thanks! The little guys are all doing well, they almost doubled in total size. But since they only where about an inch to start it's hard to see the difference in a picture. They eat like pigs, they'd eat 10 times a day if I fed them.

redwolf1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2016
Thanks! The little guys are all doing well, they almost doubled in total size. But since they only where about an inch to start it's hard to see the difference in a picture. They eat like pigs, they'd eat 10 times a day if I fed them.
Lol, you could prolly feed as much as you wanted with them. But I would recommend smaller feedings if you increase amount of feedings throughout the day. Also look to clean tank more frequently if you start feeding more

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Yeah, I tend to feed twice a day. That's about all my schedule allows although on the weekends sometimes I cave and give them snacks. I do roughly 25-40% water changes twice a week and change out the filter sock on my sump. I've got a pretty good bacteria base so everything stays at 0 or close to it since I'm just using the API test kits and who knows how accurate those are.

Reactions: redwolf1

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Well update time! The little guys are chock full of personality, and little pigs too boot! They've beef up quit abit compared to the skinny little things they where when I got them. It's quite funny to watch them flare at each other and change shade as they swim about and get annoyed with each other. Their starting to get some pretty flecks in their fins and hints of blue when their angry. Snapped a couple pics during dinner time just for fun.

IMG_5933.JPG IMG_5948.JPG IMG_5950.JPG IMG_5951.JPG

Now for a couple eating pics, don't mind the dust just the fatties being fatties :D

IMG_5962.JPG IMG_5974.JPG IMG_5979.JPG

Reactions: DBLN8 and isde02

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Well, now their starting to grow at all different rates. I have two that are larger then all the rest. Two medium ones, and two small ones. The smallest is getting bullied pretty hard. I think I'm going to take him/her out. And put it in my small tank for a few days and get it eating good again.
The thing I'm worried about is it seems likely to me that the smaller of the batch are female. In my experience female cichlids tend to grow alittle slower. The last thing I want is to be left with only males to kill each other off. So, we shall see.

MP_cichlid

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2015
Connecticut
Covetous Covetous I would divide the ones that you suspect to be females. Don't remove them just yet. I think that growing a pair from this size can help the bond a lot. I would divide them up and let them get back to health and nice and fat. As soon as the males hit sexual maturity their mindsets will change completely. Therefore, their behavior as well. With the two groups divided you will probably find a dominant fish arise on both male and female sides. The males will compete for the females and the females will sort out dominance. Once the males begin to show interest through the divider, I would pull it and see what happens then.

Reactions: Covetous
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store