Warming/ weird oceans

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
This thread is for discussing changes and odd stuff happening in our seas and oceans

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
For example starting in about 2001 there has been a odd warm water spot ranging from California to Alaska called the blob, within this area many cold water species r dieing such as cool water prawns, wolf eels, tuna crabs, salmon,krill, sardines, halibut, whales,sea lions etc some r dieing because their food is less plentiful, others are dieing because of lower oxygen levels or toxic algae blooms caused by heat. Meanwhile a number of warm water species r showing up : such as Copepoda native to Hawaii, sea snakes are showing up on beaches in low Angeles, scalloped hammerheads, starving and usually shy r stealing fish fromspeardivers

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
This makes me wonder what the future will be like in the blob zone, likely we will see high algae counts,jellyfish and squid increasing range and population, it also opens the door for animals that u wouldn't think would inhabit the California coast: perhaps crocodiles,tilapia,warmwatersharks etc

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Ok so I looked for more animals in odd places during the time period: snowy owls and blue foot boobies r showing up in California, a Arctic species of seal showed up in Kenya, it seems Arctic animals are moving to warmer areas because food is declining in their natural habitat, while many warm water creatures are moving to cooler habitats, many creatures don't like extremes in temps.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; A couple of things come to mind off hand. I use to teach units on ecology but retired in 2004 so have not kept up like I use to. This "blob" of warm water is new to me.

Have you checked out methane hydrate? Essentially huge amounts of methane lightly locked up in fairly deep and cold ocean water.

The gulf stream runs up the east coast of north America. My memory is a bit sketchy but seem to recall concern about warming changing this huge current. Best I recall the theory had something to do with changing salinity out of the Hudson bay?

The circumpolar currents also may be something to check on.

The decline of the mackerel populations causing some top predator ocean species to feed on Pollock (sp). The issue seems to be that the Pollock do not have the nutrition value (fat content) and that feeding on them may take more energy than they provide.

Bleaching of the corals.

Warmer waters in the tropic zones feeding larger hurricanes and typhoons with tremendous energy and upping the number of top category storms.

Around ten years ago predictions were made that some major fisheries would begin to collapse in about ten years. Have you noted that some of the fish fast food places now advertise Alaskan Pollock?

Are these things what you had in mind?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Very good @skj47 I've also noticed that oftentimes these days, when u see "cod" these days it's actually a different fish such as sablefish or freshwater drum, because cod populations have dropped, u see a lot of intentional mislabeling of fish, for example if u see a fish labeled whitefish it's usually something else, fish with high levels of radiation or biosccumalation are also for sale at fish markets( most commercial fishing operations these days have no qualms selling poisoned fish, as long as they get money)

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
In the same area as the blob there is high levels of contamination via radiation from the ***ushima plants runoff(300 tons a day for years) polar bears are losing hair, walruses and other marine animals are developing red patchy spots on skin, salmon and smelt are dieing of blood loss from their eyes and other orofices, 100 percent of tuna and kelp tested are to radioactive to eat or in some cases even unsafe to handle, contamination is about 90 to 95 percent of most other species tested, makes me wonder if the blob and radiation are connected or coincidental.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Tarpon are migrating (and breeding) on both sides of the Panama Canal,maybe other species r doing the same.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store