Interesting behavior in the Lyonsi tank.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
So today after a major water change and filter cleaning I've noticed some interesting behavior in my Lyonsi tank.

The first being what I believe is a territory issue. One of the middle sized Lyonsi was hanging out at the top, and almost laying sideways. However when I check on him more closely he swam away fine and apart from some fin rips appeared fine. My theory is that he has no territory and is currently "banished". The smallest ones seem to have free range as maybe their females or not seen as a threat?

The second behavior is from one of, if not the largest Lyonsi. Very specific spot, he is grabbing mouthfuls of gravel and spitting it out, while at the same time pushes agains the bottom and swimming as to push gravel out from under him and behind him. Could this be spawning behavior? He doesn't seem to have a lady or anyone following him in that area.

Thanks for taking the time to read, I look forward to y'all's responses. Oh, and for those who don't know, it's a 125 gallon. Currently 7 Lyonsi growing out between 2-5 inches.

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
It does sound very likely. Especially with a community with 7 of them. As for going solo, usually the males search for the right spot before they both do the dirty work. Give it a few more days and you might see some eggs.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree sounds like spawning prep.
The one on top could be another less than alpha male, or an unresponsive female.
Just because he is ready, doesn't mean any of the others are ready.
You may need to get another tank ready for the wounded, or for him if the collateral damage gets extensive.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Ya, prepped my dividers last night. I can put up to 2 in the 125 and 1 in my 75. Hopefully it doesn't have to go that extreme though.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Question now is: Do I preemptively divide the biggest one away from everyone else?

MP_cichlid

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2015
Connecticut
I would leave them, he is gonna try to entice a female into choosing him, the spawning process can be rough, its just how it is with cichlids. If you have a group of 7 in a 125 you should be ok. Unless he is absolutely terrorizing everyone I would leave it. but if it does come to that I would jsut divide off the male yes

Reactions: Buphy
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store