Turface vs. Seachem Flourite?

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I've heard one of the draw backs to using Turface as a planted substrate is it is extremely light. Does Flourite also have this draw back or is it a bit heavier substrate?

JakeAlmighty

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2016
Canada
I use Flourite - it is pretty light. but it works well once it's washed and the dust has cleared out. Definitely can be disturbed by strong movement or water flow directed at it though.

Reactions: Itsadeepbluesea

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
I also use fluorite, and it is working fine. ADA amazionia is also popular, though a little more expensive. I have no personal experience with it. I went with floutite because it was available locally

Snowflake311

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Lake Tahoe, ca
I just put Turfface mixed in with my dirt than I capped it with sand. I have used Fluorite too in the past I also used Akadama Bonsai soil that stuff was really light. I don't think being light is a problem it does not float so ..... I also used fluval shrimp stratum that stuff floats it is very light but I did not find my plants had a problems with it.

I would go with the Turface because the Fluorite is so expensive and is pretty much the same stuff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store