Acara fry help please

IsabellMT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2016
Can anyone give me any pointers on how to look after Acara fry?
For about 9 months the eggs have been getting eaten, I'm not sure by who so this is my first time trying to look after them.
I only have about 20 left after most of them being sucked out of the bottom of their hatchery by I think the bristlenoses .
They are now in a different little hatchery with sand on the bottom and an air bubbler in there as well.
They are about a week old and I'm trying to feed them liquidfry at the moment.
They are doing great and learning how to swim but I am unsure of what to feed them as they grow and such.
Thank you

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Can anyone give me any pointers on how to look after Acara fry?
For about 9 months the eggs have been getting eaten, I'm not sure by who so this is my first time trying to look after them.
I only have about 20 left after most of them being sucked out of the bottom of their hatchery by I think the bristlenoses .
They are now in a different little hatchery with sand on the bottom and an air bubbler in there as well.
They are about a week old and I'm trying to feed them liquidfry at the moment.
They are doing great and learning how to swim but I am unsure of what to feed them as they grow and such.
Thank you

You should have removed the bristlenose. What type of filter are you using for the hatchery?

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I suggest going and purchasing a sponge filter for your hatchery for the future. Place the sponge filter in your main aquarium for about 3weeks so it can get seeded by bio-bacteria. As for food you can pulverize flake or pellets for the fry just don't over feed.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I suggest going and purchasing a sponge filter for your hatchery for the future. Place the sponge filter in your main aquarium for about 3weeks so it can get seeded by bio-bacteria. As for food you can pulverize flake or pellets for the fry just don't over feed.

Btw welcome to MFK :)

IsabellMT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2016
Thank you this is a great site.
Why is a sponge filter better/different from the one I have in their hatchery already?
How many times a day should they be fed?
Do you know how long they take to grow?
I've spent days looking for answers so thank you for helping me.

Reactions: tlindsey

IsabellMT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2016
You should have removed the bristlenose. What type of filter are you using for the hatchery?
I don't really want to get rid of all the fish in my community tank so I'll just try looking after them myself lol

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thank you this is a great site.
Why is a sponge filter better/different from the one I have in their hatchery already?
How many times a day should they be fed?
Do you know how long they take to grow?
I've spent days looking for answers so thank you for helping me.

A seeded sponge will provide biological and mechanical filtration, also fry will find microorganism's on sponge to eat between feedings. :)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I don't really want to get rid of all the fish in my community tank so I'll just try looking after them myself lol

Most would suggest leaving fry in with the parents so they will gain experience in parenting, and some cichlid fry will actually feed off the slime coat of the parents. :)

IsabellMT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2016
A seeded sponge will provide biological and mechanical filtration, also fry will find microorganism's on sponge to eat between feedings. :)
Oh ok thanks, I might move them on to micro worms soon once they can eat like normal fish lol

Reactions: tlindsey

IsabellMT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2016
Most would suggest leaving fry in with the parents so they will gain experience in parenting, and some cichlid fry will actually feed off the slime coat of the parents. :)
I have tried leaving them with the parents but they've continued to eat every spawn for about 9 months

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store