Angelfish with no anal fin?

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
I've read a couple of angelfish breeding guides that mention fry being born with no anal fins, often due to being the fry of probably-inbred chain store angelfish. Clearly you wouldn't want to breed those fry, and usually they're culled, but has anyone grown a few up just to see what they look like? Aside from the bad genes, I don't think a fish with no anal fin would have any issues, aside from maybe some minor difficulty keeping itself balanced, and I'm quite curious what a fully grown one would look like. Not curious enough to purposefully breed a batch of defective angels, though.
So has anyone ever grown one like that up? I'd think it might look sorta cool.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I was kinda thinking along the same lines as you....balance would be the issue - all the fins seem to have their own function and I would guess the anal and dorsal to be important stabilizers. Angelfish are pretty weak swimmer to start, so I don't imagine many success stories for those missing fins.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I've had missing-fin fry from my angels. But, since I was usually growing out several spawns at a time I never thought twice about trying to grow these defective fish out. They were culled to one predator tank or another before passing dime-size.

Finagain

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2016
I have one nearly full grown. Looks kinda like a fancy Monodactylus. Bought online. I was sent additional fish later to compensate me for several defective ones and I just didn't have the heart to dispatch fish that were already bigger than quarter size. The other 2 had only 1 fin each and all 3 fish function just fine.

Angel Lady

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
I have one without ventral fins and one without a swim bladder (I don't think he has a swim bladder). The one without ventral fins is in my classroom tank at school and Nemo, the one without a swim bladder, has his own tank and is living quite well. I also have a very weird one...It was born without a dorsal fin. I suppose someone could have taken a bite when he was tiny but...I'm not sure. He lives quite comfortably with no issues. I would never breed him but as part of a community tank he does fine.

Reactions: tlindsey

davao

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2016
Angelfish are so inbred, lots of deformity. It should be expected. I wish someone will take the effort of crossing back to the wild strain to in vigor the domestic varieties.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store