What are you feeding your Cichla fry/juvies?

CrimsonFog

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Warshingtun
What's up guys! New to Cichla here and was wondering what good or bad experiences you've had feeding your fry/juvies?

I have a group in the 2-2.5" range and I'm currently feeding them frozen blood worms soaked in Massivore powder.

Thanks in advance!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
When I get young cichla I try to get them onto some kind of appropriately sized pellet as soon as possible.

Reactions: bOOsteN aUdI

Lateralus86

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
I'm new to cichla as well. Just have one for now and got lucky with him. For the first month he would only eat feeders and paid no attention to pellets. One day he just started grabbing massivore after trying repeatedly. He's been eating it ever since. I also was able to get him to eat bloodworms with massivore powder before he took the chunks. So sounds like your on the right track.

bOOsteN aUdI

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
East Coast
Get them on pellets ASAP but never starve a juvie bass to do so, you'll stunt their growth. Black and blood worms when small, then cut shrimp if they won't take pellets. Pellets is the best food to feed them.

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
this is how i pellet train smaller cichla. i get them on freeze dried shrimp. break into smaller pieces if needed. then they get use to knowing you and they will start hovering waiting for food when you walk up to the tank. once this happens i switch over to frozen shrimp. cut the frozen shrimp into timy pieces. i stuff those tiny pieces with 1 carnivore pellet. once they are use to that. i make the shrimp pieces smaller but keeping the pellet wrapper with smaller pieces of shrimp. then before you know it they will be strictly on pellets.

Reactions: bOOsteN aUdI
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store