Managuans -- Types of Jags

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Jags, esp males are not fish friendly, so unless you have a 300 plus tank, other fish aint good ideal.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
That was "Jumbo". His mother was a gold morph mangauense....father was a regular morph from Nicaraugua. If you google jumbo managuense on line...his picture pops up as one of the first hits. He had international fame.

I've had managuense almost as long as I've had fish tanks. The Honduran variant was a favorite. Primary difference is that blue sheen they had down their back. I have Lago xiola right now. Not nearly as nice. I've also had them from Panama and of course from Nicaragua.

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
Anybody know which ones get the maroonish/purple sheen to them as they mature? Those were the first ones I ever encountered back in the early 90's and have always been my favorite. These fish also seemed to keep good conformation as they matured and didn't tend to get that hunch back jag look like you see on a lot of large males these days.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Jeff Rapps mentioned in his email to me that the Lake Xiloa Managuense he once imported had a "blue sheen" to them.

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
Jeff Rapps mentioned in his email to me that the Lake Xiloa Managuense he once imported had a "blue sheen" to them.

I don't see that at all. I got mine from Jeff...who got them from Willemstad Heijns. He collected them in L. Xiola. If anything the male is actially much lighter in coloration.

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
This beast got traded in to a local shop around me. Easily 16+ inches. The picture doesn't do him justice but he was pure silver. Poor guy did not like his holding tank.

IMG_20160423_113247031_TOP.jpg

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
a local shop? what's local to you? I might could go for a little road trip. nice time of year for it.

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
a local shop? what's local to you? I might could go for a little road trip. nice time of year for it.
Sarasota FL, but the last time I went in he was gone. Hopefully to a good home. The shop is a relatively small one that mostly does maintenance contracts and builds. So their livestock tanks aren't the best. It just happens to be right down the road from me so I stop in from time to time.

But, most of the jags I tend to see around here are silver and black. With the occasional gold/bronze hue and black. The deep gold's with blues are very rare around here. Although as you mentioned they are becoming more and more popular.

Mike's cichlids out of Daytona FL used to have some nice silver and black jags if memory serves. But they aren't listed on their page atm.
http://www.mikescichlids.com/3243.html

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
From what I see your looking for a standard issue Nicaraguan jag. All of my nics over the yrs have looked basically like what your describing. I got one via unwanted adoption from thatpetplace that looked exactly like the ones you posted from YouTube.

The looks vary so much even from the same location. Some will have pointed snouts while other are more blunt with bigger lips and even different coloration. Your just going to have to be patient if you want that exact look that much or take a chance on a store bought.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store