Could I use this as a sump return pump?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
You will need to check if this pump is rated for continuous use or only intermittent.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
A 1/2 HP pump will likely draw at least 500 watts.

Assuming you pay the national average for electicity ($0.11/KWHr) that pump will cost you $475 per year to run.

If you were to buy a Laguna Max-Flo 2400, you would likely get more flow on only 84 watts. This pump would cost you only $80 per year to run.

Although the Laguna will cost you $180 more up front, over time it will pay for itself and then some. In just 6 months the more efficient pump will pay for itself in electrical savings.

My suggestion would be to save up to buy the more efficient pump because that "cheap" pump will cost you a lot more $$$ in the long run.

Plus, as has already been mentioned, that pump is probably not rated for continuous duty.

Reactions: Woefulrelic

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Same question I had years ago! But alas the answer is typically no...

I agree with the others.

Sump pumps are designed to run powerfully for a short time. They look attractive from a price standpoint (for aquarium use) because they can be made much cheaper than the ones that are designed to run continuously 24/7 and with zero leaks that might harm fish.

In addition, a sump pump that runs continuously is apt to wear out quickly and may have to shut itself down if it attempts to run for too long.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store