Tig or Jur?

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Gunna look good when he's a fatty! :D

Whats the song playing in the 2nd video?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hiyah, Jason! Glad to see a glimpse of your endeavors at Gerber's (I suppose?) continuing.

To me it looks like what they call a flash zebra juruense, if there is such a thing ( Chicxulub Chicxulub ). Definitely not a tig.

A typical juruense at 2' looks like that below - the one I got from Shark Aquarium in 2009 for $500. W/c by George Fear himself. The jur had lost its striking coloration soon thereafter the capture and has been rather drab looking since then. Had a large wound on its tummy. Died on my 8 h drive home from Hillside, NJ to Rochester, NY. I think the wound didn't matter and it was my fault - I should have opened its cooler more often and given it more air but George kindly gave me a store credit. George did use a sedative. So we could not know for sure who was to blame.

Anyhoo, back to your exciting new entry! Heart-breaking to see such a magnificent fish so neglected but it looks like it has a great potential to bounce back and wow everyone. Great gamble is on!

(BTW the remaining 5 paroons have been doing well, the biggest is probably 6"-8" longer and 3x heavier versus its old self when I picked them up from Dayton, Ohio, this March, thanks to you).

When are you moving to southern Florida? We crave for fishheads like you here :)

Scan.jpg 100_3542.JPG 100_3543.JPG 100_3544.JPG 100_3545.JPG 100_3546.JPG 100_3547.JPG 100_3548.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: moe214

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
Hiyah, Jason! Glad to see a glimpse of your endeavors at Gerber's (I suppose?) continuing.

To me it looks like what they call a flash zebra juruense, if there is such a thing ( Chicxulub Chicxulub ). Definitely not a tig.

A typical juruense at 2' looks like that below - the one I got from Shark Aquarium in 2009 for $500. W/c by George Fear himself. The jur had lost its striking coloration soon thereafter the capture and has been rather drab looking since then. Had a large wound on its tummy. Died on my 8 h drive home from Hillside, NJ to Rochester, NY. I think the wound didn't matter and it was my fault - I should have opened its cooler more often and given it more air but George kindly gave me a store credit. George did use a sedative. So we could not know for sure who was to blame.

Anyhoo, back to your exciting new entry! Heart-breaking to see such a magnificent fish so neglected but it looks like it has a great potential to bounce back and wow everyone. Great gamble is on!

(BTW the remaining 5 paroons have been doing well, the biggest is probably 6"-8" longer and 3x heavier versus its old self when I picked them up from Dayton, Ohio, this March, thanks to you).

When are you moving to southern Florida? We crave for fishheads like you here :)

View attachment 1206537 View attachment 1206538 View attachment 1206539 View attachment 1206540 View attachment 1206541 View attachment 1206542 View attachment 1206543 View attachment 1206544
I'm working on the FL thing, her dad has cancer so it's kind of hard to move at the moment unless they come with us.

After looking at it for while last night I agree that it's a Jurnese. He probably didn't have much longer to live seeing as how skinny he is and the gator and pacu tank mates.

Glad they are doing good. I believe I saw them in some of your videos on YT that I subscribed to a few weeks ago :)

Going to feed him now

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Boy is it emaciated! Heart wrenching.

Eating so soon after rehoming is a very good sign. Try to give him the best, diverse feed. I'd give him fish stuffed with massivore or soaked in VitaChem. He can use all the help he can get at the moment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store