legal issues surrounding outdoor ponds?

Carmen1979

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2012
SC
I'm in the US and I really want to build an outdoor pond and luckily my husband totally approves. I'm concerned about the legalities of them. In our area there are lots of laws surrounding pools, about fences and such, and I'm wondering if there are similar regulations with ponds. Anyone know?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It depends on where you live and what the laws and codes are in your area.Is your property gated?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I'm assuming your talking about homeowners regulations? , most of them regard ponds and pools the same way.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Where's your property zoned?

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
I'm in the US and I really want to build an outdoor pond and luckily my husband totally approves. I'm concerned about the legalities of them. In our area there are lots of laws surrounding pools, about fences and such, and I'm wondering if there are similar regulations with ponds. Anyone know?
You need to check with the city/county of your resident.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
As stated, depends on your local ordinance. Here ponds are treated similar to pools depending on depth. We have to have our pool fenced and gated but the garden pond only being a foot deep never required it.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
It really depends on your state what you are and aren't allowed to do. Contact the NRCS an (National Resource Conservation Services) and they can help you with your questions. As far as a fence I can only tell you what my insurance company told me as I had the same question. They state that in Maine a pool is considered an attractive nuisance, so it must be fenced, where as my pond was not considered this and did not have to be. This again may vary between insurance carriers.

Catweed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2016
I'm lucky that anything you don't swim in doesn't have to be fenced. They didn't even care that I could dive it's the size of 2 pools, but it's a pond if it has fish to them. My insurance didn't care either.

Good to know if I move, building another pond is not the same in every state. :(

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
my city denied me of building a massive pond so
i just put out some intex pools with liners & covered
it with a green house and no one knows what it is.
called it a day after.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
we lived on 5 acres , built a trout pound. maybe 500,000 gallons. fed by natural springs and drained into Harris creak. the powers that be said this is now a wet land and can not build with in 500 feet of it and put there wet lands signs up. They made a good burn pile.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store