A. Rivulatus Temperament

Jglenn213

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2016
usa
This is probably a commonly asked questions so I apologize in advance, but are they really that bad? I've read they are nothing compared to the nasty of the stalsbergi. I've always loved their look but have been afraid to keep based on rep. I do also know that it depends on the indivual fish as well. However, here lately I have seen some posts and threads in different places that make them out to be relatively mellow in comparison to Oscars and JDs for example. Has anyone had any success in keeping these in a peaceful (relative) SA community with the likes of say severum, chocolate cichlid; festivum, electic blue acaras (hint: my community)? Lol Any rivulatus keepers have some insight? I'm going to upgrade my tank up from a 4' in the next few months and was considering trying one. I don't want to take any chances of my current fish being hurt or worse because a saum won't be tolerate. Thanks

Tyler_Wentworth_150

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
Humboldt county
Temperament is measured in a sliding scale imo. For me, Oscar's are very mellow... JDs are medium and maybe then a rivulatus could be considered crazy. However when measured against amphilophus or parachromis, the scale slides very quickly. The constant variable being individual fish, always a complete crap shoot. Another good guideline is to stick with fish that occur in the wild together... or at least from the same general part of the planet.

Reactions: cichlidfish

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Tank size also, very important
+1
Also--
1) With some of them it might make a difference introducing one to a tank with established residents or growing him up with other cichlids vs. one raised alone in a tank, or it's his tank first and then you try to add other cichlids. I've found to some degree that some fish can be 'socialized' or not by how they're raised.

2) Temperament or shape of the other fish can make a difference, as to whether they appear-- or act-- like competition. And, as mentioned, aggression can be relative to what else is in the tank. For the most part, though, I've found (domestic, tank bred) rivulatus to be a fish that doesn't bother other fish if they don't bother him... with one significant exception:

3) There's a big difference between wild and captive bred rivulatus ime-- I've had both. The wilds were aggressive to nasty, depending what you kept them with. Any tank bred I've had haven't been a problem, won't be bullied, but don't look for trouble; in fact I found some of them would keep peace among other fish by breaking up fights. I've even seen (not that I'd do it myself or count on it to work consistently) rivulatus kept with discus, and the discus were fine... and if you're familiar with discus, they make it pretty obvious when they're stressed.

4) As with most cichlids, individuals can vary, also circumstances in any particular tank. I've kept a number of rivulatus, both gold and white edged, domestic and a few wilds, so that's my experience, but 'your results may vary'.

Reactions: Tyler_Wentworth_150
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store