Silver arowana query

Balraj Thethi

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2015
Hi guys and girls,
I've got a silver arowana in my tank, he's about 24-25". He's in with an albino pangasius thats around 18", 2 large tinfoil barbs, an oscar and a large sailgin plec.
Im growing a high fin pangasius, 2 cichla azuls and a cichla temensis. The high fin pangasius is around 8-9" at the moment.
I want to move it into my main tank but I'm not sure if he's big enough to not be arowana food. Does anyone havr any experience putting smaller fish in with arowanas?
Thanks im advance.

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
Well I've got a 22" one with 5 angelfish around 3-5" in diameter, 9" jack dempsey, and 6" blood parrot. But each has its own temperament. If its been with fish with no issues since early on it should be fine. Mine only eats insects and pellets with occasional market seafood so no live fish. If yours eats live fish, it might not work

Balraj Thethi

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2015
The issue i think i might have is the pangasius is the right shape to be swallowed should he fancy it.
When he was around 18", he did decide to eat my clown loach. Can't argue any case for the clown loach, he was an evil fish that always bullied the arowana.
He used to eat crickets, locusts and pellets but after my tank change at christmas last year, he went off that food so only eats mussels and prawns now

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
The issue i think i might have is the pangasius is the right shape to be swallowed should he fancy it.
When he was around 18", he did decide to eat my clown loach. Can't argue any case for the clown loach, he was an evil fish that always bullied the arowana.
He used to eat crickets, locusts and pellets but after my tank change at christmas last year, he went off that food so only eats mussels and prawns now
Hmm that's gonna be tough it's already eaten a tank mate.. ya if it looks like it fits inside it's not worth it

Balraj Thethi

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2015
Yeah i know. Iv been debating this for a little while now. The clown loach was small, around 3-4". My dad seems to think the pangasius will be fine but i dont want him to get eaten, iv been growing him from a baby

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store