Severum fin rot?

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
Hi, I have a number of Severums, the two smallest I have noticed they're fins very frayed and are starting to get white patches on fins and body, and also on the bigger pair one is pooing out white gooey poos!

Water conditions are fine, only thing changed is I dosed the tank with praziquantel a few days ago.

Is this a response to that or something else?

In meantime Severums are in a qt tank and dosed with anti finrot.

Any ideas or suggestions? I recently lost a green terror also so getting concerned!

image.jpg

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
are you sure they are not picking on each other? Is the ray jumping on them? I would also prazi them for the stool

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
are you sure they are not picking on each other? Is the ray jumping on them? I would also prazi them for the stool
Potentially another severum is abit more aggressive than others, but rays don't bother them at all. However I separated the two that were poorly and gave a meth blue dip and an anti fungus treatment. One is fine and back in main display, however the other has still not eaten and have white patches on its body?

Not sure what it is,

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
How did you administer the prazi? If you just add pure praziquantel powder to the water it doesn't do much

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
How did you administer the prazi? If you just add pure praziquantel powder to the water it doesn't do much
Prazi was mixed up in tank water to dilute, then added to tank.

Reckon that it has some form of fungus as only got the new one few weeks ago, it died today after looking awful for weeks. Other one is fine however and back in main display.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Prazi was mixed up in tank water to dilute, then added to tank.

Reckon that it has some form of fungus as only got the new one few weeks ago, it died today after looking awful for weeks. Other one is fine however and back in main display.
Hmm if it was just straight prazi powder it doesn't dissolve well in water. You have to dissolve it in ethanol before adding it to the tank. If it was a product like prazipro then it should dissolve ok.

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
Hmm if it was just straight prazi powder it doesn't dissolve well in water. You have to dissolve it in ethanol before adding it to the tank. If it was a product like prazipro then it should dissolve ok.
Ta but in uk its sold as fluke solve. Dissolves fine in water if mixed up abit first.

Cheers tho

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I keep a bottle of vodka around just for this purpose

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Is there a brand you prefer for your fish or is any unflavored vodka ok?
any unflavored vodka is ok. I use titos since that is what we keep. You should see the evil eye my wife gives me though. Its her vodka.

Reactions: Fish4evr
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store