Thinking of setting up a puffer tank...Some guidance please?

Kaiden

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
Long Island, NY
Hi all,

I've always been interested in getting a puffer fish but the thought of going brackish sort of puts me off. Lately though I'm really getting the itch to change the setup on one of my 55 gallons :D So I'm planning on re-homing my silver dollars since they are too skittish for my taste. I have a few questions that I hope someone can enlighten me.
  • The tank is currently running 2x Penguin 350 and an Eheim 2216. Do you think that's enough filtration or should I upgrade before I get a puffer fish?
  • Aside from filtration, I read that I will need a hydrometer/refractometer and of course Marine salt. Are there any other equipment I will need to setup a brackish tank?
  • From what I read, I have to gradually increase salinity over time with no more than 1.002 a week. But how would I accurately do that if say I replace 50% water every week? Will I have to let the water mixed with salt sit in a container first for 'x' amount of time or can I put freshwater directly in the tank and pour the dissolved salt in afterwards? With my freshwater tanks, if I have to add salt, I normally dissolve it in a cup then pour it in the tank.
  • I'm torn between getting a (1x) Leopard Puffer or a (2x) Figure 8...For those who've had/have them, would you consider one more personable/active than the other? I love having a wet pet. Unfortunately my current fishes aren't exactly Mr./Ms. Friendly. Except maybe for my Angelfishes.
  • In addition my question above, do you find a GSP harder to care for than a F8? Most of what I've read say that GSP will eventually need a full marine setup as an adult whereas a F8 will stay towards a low-end brackish setup. Since they both start on freshwater as babies, when would be the best time to start slowing working them to be in brackish? In a few months/a year?
  • I have a bunch of limestone rocks from when I had African Cichlids, can I use that as decor to create caves/hiding spots? I normally use Malaysian Driftwood on my tanks but they tend to really bring down the water pH and I've read that puffers prefer higher pH levels. My worry is, are they clumsy swimmers that would cut themselves on the sharp edges of the rocks? My current substrate is the white sand of Caribsea (I think it's called Crystal River).
  • Last but not least, is there any way I can avoid trimming their teeth? Some people say SAP will need their teeth trimmed even if you feed them mostly snails. Is that the same case with F8 and GSP? I think that's the deal breaker for me...I don't think I feel comfortable manually trimming their teeth. I don't even trim my own dogs' nails and have to bring them to the groomers. :oops: Worried I might clip too much or clip too little and have to do it again soon. Or worse, squish them while trying to hold them!
Sorry for having a lot of questions. When I first started fishkeeping almost 8 years ago, I didn't research enough and just followed the advice of the fish store employees...ended up with a JD, Oscar, GT, and Convict in a 55 gallon tank :confused: Needless to say, that didn't work out well after a few months. So now I tend to research, research and ask questions before I bring home a new pet.

Thanks in advanced for all your help!

P.S. Feel free to add any commends/suggestions/advice if you think I missed anything. :)

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I kept GSP's for a while, I'm not an expert by any means but I kept them in medium range brackish their whole lives.

Fat Homer Fat Homer this guy can tell you everything you want about puffers.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I'm more a freshwater guy, so maybe you could fill in the adjusting water part, since i've read about it before but forgot the correct steps / procedure... although one thing to notice is you want to raise salinty by 0.002 each week and not 1.002 each week...

Onto questions about the actual puffers...

1. Which to choose?
1A. If you go with GSP he will be more aggressive but since you will be almost at marine levels in salinty, you could look into suitable tankmates and ultimately end up with a FOWLR tank?

On the other hand, if you choose F8's they live at a really really low salinity level of if memory serves me correct about 0.002 - 0.006 so you could make it a more tropical style tank with some brackish water plants and maybe some bumble bee gobies...

2. Which makes a better wet pet?
2A. They will both make decent wet pets for their size and once comfortable should recognize you and beg for food...

3. When to start acclimating?
3A. Over here both GSP + F8's tend to be sold at around 2"-2.5" at which point most would start acclimating them slowly to their required salinty within a few days of being added to the tank...

4. Do i need to worry about their teeth like SAP?
4A. F8 & GSP's dont require teeth trimming if given a regular hard shelled diet of snails about the size of their eye... doesnt need to be every meal but good if can give them some at least once every week or two...

Reactions: tlindsey

Kaiden

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
Long Island, NY
Awesome! Thanks for the info, Fat Homer Fat Homer . Glad to know I can avoid teeth trimming with the right diet. That was my biggest worry in keeping a puffer. I'm leaning more towards the GSP, at this point, because of their size compared to an F8 (though I love the pattern on F8!). Would I need to invest on any other equipment when the GSP goes to full marine or is it just a matter of raising the salinity to SG 1.018-1.022? Since this is only a 55g tank, I'll probably stick to a single fish and avoid tankmates.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
The only problem i can foresee is deciding how to filter the tank once it reaches almost marine levels... since normally marine guys use live rock to filter their tanks, where as brackish? And fresh use traditional filters...

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
It's much easier if you just do full marine once your puffer reach that point of acclimation.

Kaiden

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
Long Island, NY
To be honest, marine tanks have always interested me but with my schedule...I doubt I can properly maintain one. I also don't have a space for a sump, which most people recommend using in saltwater tanks. All my tanks are just running HOBs and canisters.

Since a GSP would eventually need a full marine setup, I'm probably better off with an F8 right? Are there any other freshwater/slightly brackfish puffers you guys can recommend as a wet pet in a 55 gallon for life? My LFS only carries those two but I could probably order more variants online.

Thanks!

Kaiden

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
Long Island, NY
Sorry for the double post. I couldn't edit my previous post any longer. :oops:

I was just about to order a refractometer and marine salt but I recalled my question about filtration and decor so I figured I'd wait until I know if I need to purchase more things. Can someone please advice? :)
  • The tank is currently running 2x Penguin 350 and an Eheim 2216. Do you think that's enough filtration or should I upgrade before I get a puffer fish?

• I have a bunch of limestone rocks from when I had African Cichlids, can I use that as decor to create caves/hiding spots? I normally use Malaysian Driftwood on my tanks but they tend to really bring down the water pH and I've read that puffers prefer higher pH levels. My worry is, are they clumsy swimmers that would cut themselves on the sharp edges of the rocks? My current substrate is the white sand of Caribsea (I think it's called Crystal River).
Thanks (especially to Fat Homer)! And sorry for all the questions lol. Hoping to get this puffer tank setup in the next few days since I have the week off.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
1) You don't need to have a sump to have a marine tank, it's good to have but not required (look at all nano marine systems which is more difficult to maintenance and many folks still successful keep it without sump nor protein skimmer).
2) Canister, HOB work fine for marine system as long you not over feed, over stock...The basis concept of FOWLR is exact same like freshwater tank but now your have salt in your water.

Kaiden

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
Long Island, NY
Gotcha. Thanks, Yuki! That could be my next fish project...:D

For now I've opted to go with Figure 8 Puffers since they stay smaller and slightly easier to maintain. I'll post pics on a separate thread since this one is on the wrong forum to begin with. Aside from learning how to estimate how much marine salt (Instant Ocean Sea Salt), I think I'm all set. I've read somewhere that it's 2 teaspoon per gallon to raise SG to 1.002, which I guess I could start it slow and go with 1 teaspoon per gallon and hopefully in 5 weeks my tank would be around 1.005 SG.

Anyways, thanks again for all your help! Especially to Fat Homer Fat Homer .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store