Stop or slow down drop eye?

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
My silver arowana at about a foot long has started to develop Drop Eye in one of his eyes. Is there any way to slow this down or stop/reverse it? All he eats are hikari cichlid bio gold + pellets. Thanks for your help

thiswasgone

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
There are surgical procedures to remove the fatty tissue, but the surgery itself does not guarantee the eye position is completely reset. If you place the arowana in a large pool it may prevent further degeneration or slow it down, but if you don't have one then its still fine drop eye doesn't affect the fish's ability to feed (at least in my experience).

Reactions: tlindsey

Dee eng

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2015
Cambodia
I've read the only way to get rid of it is to put them in a pond. Other than that I've heard you could cover the whole side and front of your tank so the aro would only or can only look upwards. Or worse case, surgery....

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I've read the only way to get rid of it is to put them in a pond. Other than that I've heard you could cover the whole side and front of your tank so the aro would only or can only look upwards. Or worse case, surgery....

You answered what I thought was the problem imo with Silver Aro's in the home aquariums. I'm a firm believer that wild Silver Aro's focus at or above the surface only especially when it came down to feeding.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Silver aros have fat deposits behind the eyes, in captivity the aros item don't get enough exercise, especially considering most of their wild diet is low fat insects, a diet higher in such foods as crickets, dragonflies, grasshoppers, water scorpions, Phoenix worms and katydids is best.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Silver aros have fat deposits behind the eyes, in captivity the aros item don't get enough exercise, especially considering most of their wild diet is low fat insects, a diet higher in such foods as crickets, dragonflies, grasshoppers, water scorpions, Phoenix worms and katydids is best.
That explains the problem even better, thanks for sharing. I learn something new on the forum everyday. :)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I think there is a genetic component as some seem very prone to the condition, when others kept in identical enclosures do fine

azura

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2011
Aros World
theres no way to slow down or stop DE unless you put your aro in the earth ponds
esp. silver aro

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
Ok thanks everyone for your replies! I knew about the fat thing but only thought it would happen with a goldfish diet or something like that. Guess I will just have to deal with it!

Reactions: Dee eng
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store