Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
thanks y'all.

Cichlidfever

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Bowie, MD.
This tank and selection of fish is just stunning, If I had your tank I would never leave the room :) I can't wait to see what it looks like when they all mature and to see the colors on them... You have a beautiful tank. Looking at your tank, you have inspired me to make some changes, thanks for the videos, please keep them coming :)

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
a quick update. Nothing has changed at all since July. I got tired of the Midas spawning every other week, so I split em up.

I've added a couple of Regani into this tank that I just had no other place for, and tthey're starting to actually grow now.

The Zonatus are getting biiiiiiiiigggggg. And very deep blue.

the Breidohri is growing a lot slower than the old one I had, which is a real disappointment.

The 2 Argentea--they're the same as always.

The Synspilum -- used to be the wimp of tank, now look at him. Incredibly mean, too.

The tank, to me, is getting too crowded. I'm probably gonna re-home the Bifa's--before the Blackbelt and the Synspilum decide to kill one of em. :)

Beautiful - love those Synspilum

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I wanted to try to get some Argentea to breed. I figured I'd be waiting a LOONNNG time for that, so I'd better get started. I bought 7 from Rapps at about 4 inches, put them in my 125, and they killed 2 in a couple weeks. So, I put the remaining 5 in this 540 gallon hoping more room would help with that.

The Regani I put in here are still growing, not fast, but growing. The Zonatus look really big now--not much longer, but bigger for sure, and DEEEEP blue. I really think 14-16 inches is gonna happen with at least 1 of them.

I vacuumed the tank today, changed and hosed off the filter socks, wiped down the inside of the front glass (acrylic really), all in about 20 minutes. I do that every other week which isn't bad at all.

I forgot to film the Midas fry living in the sump--they're still in there and growing. I figure I have about 20 or so.

Reactions: Steve@TN

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
The fish look absolutely fantastic! This just confirms that the Vieja family is my favorite family of cichlid. Nice update. What are you feeding them?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I forgot to put that! I was feeding NLS, but somebody told me to try Xtreme Aquatic foods pellets--less undigested material they said.

So I tried it, and I LOVE it. I vacuum a little bit less now, it seems like a little bit cleaner food, solids aren't this bright reddish color like with NLS that you can see across the room on white sand bottom.

And I feed Freeze Dried Krill, too. I quit doing vegetables and lettuce--too messy and it just starts fights :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store