Firemouth

Zachk29

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2015
California
I have two firemouth cichlids with mollies. The mollies are breeding quite a bit and I'm tempted to get rid of the mollies and get something else to go with my firemouths. What would you guys suggest that I do?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In the area Thorichthys (FMs) are endemic, mollies are also naturally found, but also swordtails and Gambisia.
Here's a video I took in the Yucatan, though these are mostly JDs and not FMs, the FMs are only a few miles down the road.
The mollies are Poecilia velifora, or yucatana
Eden2

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Get a couple rose line "sharks", a bumblebee catfish, and a longfin golden bushy nose pleco

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
You can keep them, the firemouths will likely eat the fry as they get bigger.

If you do not want your mollies swordtails are also cool, and as Deadliestviper7 Deadliestviper7 suggested roseline sharks aka denison barbs will work too, just be prepared to pay a little since they can be pricey

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
I have two firemouth cichlids with mollies. The mollies are breeding quite a bit and I'm tempted to get rid of the mollies and get something else to go with my firemouths. What would you guys suggest that I do?
I'd suggest keeping the mollies and adding around 4 more firemouths. :)

Zachk29

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2015
California
Thanks for all your suggestions my firemouths arnt that big yet so they don't eat all the fry and I'm stuck with a lot of mollies lol. That's why I was tempted to get rid of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store