New manueli piranha with hith?

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
So I picked up a manueli for s good price at the lfs. The fish was on the top shelf so I couldn't see it from the top down. When I got it home I acclimated it to the tank, shut the light off, and left alone until this afternoon when I couldn't resist taking a look at him. I noticed the what appeared to be hith? At the store I didn't notice it but could the stress of moving it again cause it to flame up or something? The store employee said that the guy that brought it in only fed it live feeders. Does this look like hith? What besides improving the diet and good water quality can I do to help this fish? Thanks

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like an injury or scrape more than hith.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
how is he doing? I can't tell from the picture is his head sunken in or there divots there? If divots are the scales missing?

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
how is he doing? I can't tell from the picture is his head sunken in or there divots there? If divots are the scales missing?
It looks like chunks of his head are missing. I can't tell if it's getting any better or worse.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
I tried Melafix and salt and bumped the heat up. I have been making small water changes daily with a larger one mixed in once a week. The water is in check besides the ph is high and I'm having trouble/don't know the best way to get it down. So after weeks of trying to go natural I dosed him with api general cure this Tuesday and gave the second dose yesterday. I'm wondering how long it would take to see any improvement?

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
I was also looking into metroplex if anyone has any experience with that? Thanks for your help guys.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I have used metroplex in the past. It did not work for me but I believe many folks have used it with success. Most piranha heal extremely fast, the challenge with manueli is that they are probably the most sensitive piranha.

Don't go nuts on ph. If it fluctuates too much it will do more damage. I think the biggest question is whether it is HITH or not. Seems like no one can give you an answer on that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store