90 Gallon plywood fish tank over basement stairs

cdrake261

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
Nashville, IN
Hey guys, been out of the fisk keeper life for a while now but since we just bought a house, it's time for another tank. I'm thinking about adding a plywood tank over the basement stairwell, since this area already has a cubby built in and the basement is unfinished and will remain unfinished...

Current dimensions I'm thinking of is 42" wide, 21" deep, and 24" tall....should come out between 88 and 90 gallons. I could also take depth upto 42" to make it a nice square tank and up the gallons, plus the tank can be viewable from both the kitchen/diningroom and one of the bedrooms(make 3D rock system to provide privacy between kitchen/diningroom and the bedroom) which I know my girls would enjoy.

Obviously, the frame will have to be strengthens to support the weight and the concrete walls going into the basement should be up to the task. This would also allow a sump in the basement.

Thoughts?

Niners4952

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2016
I would not build any plywood tank under 300 gallons your just limiting yourself, 90 gallon glass tanks are usually easy to obtain

cdrake261

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
Nashville, IN
I really want a 500 gallon tank, but I just do see it happening anytime soon inside this already limited house...this 90 gal will basically replace the cubby hole in the kitchen and not take up any more floor space.

Flaring Afro

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2016
Can you not make it take up more of the wall? I'd personally do that if I were to go through building a custom tank - especially because those cube dimensions won't work for fish that like to swim fast down large lengths (like tangs). Even if you couldn't see the whole length on the kitchen side, it would be worth it imo.

I also don't think concrete would be necessary.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Ilawis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2015
Perth
Would that tank allow for space above it for ventilation and enough room for access?

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
I have to echo everyone else. You would be doing 80% of the same work to build a huge tank just to get a common 90. Might as well go glass and it should hold up better as well.

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
If you want to do it go for it though!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store