My Ornate...

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
Is the ripsaw catfish with u still? If so, it's gotta be big now.
Nope, I sold all of my fish except for the Ornate, 3 Endli bichirs and an Irwini Catfish. My bioload had gotten a little high.

I'm hoping to pick up a fire eel to add in with these guys, with the exception of a few dither fish this should be my tank for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Cosmic_surfer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Lincoln, NE
As I have said in other threads, the ornate bichir seem to be a little more skittish. I built pvc piping with hole cutouts in my 3d foam background and my ornate is always hiding in there. It won't be long until she probaby won't fit in there anymore, so I may need to build a larger cave out of stone slabs or something. I don't think they like movement very much... yours is looking in the same corner to minimize the perceived movement. I bet if you give yours a cave, it will disappear.

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
Maybe it is snobby and just finds you un attractive and does not wish to look it you. It is after all an awfully pretty fish..

Cosmic_surfer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Lincoln, NE
Nope, I sold all of my fish except for the Ornate, 3 Endli bichirs and an Irwini Catfish. My bioload had gotten a little high.

I'm hoping to pick up a fire eel to add in with these guys, with the exception of a few dither fish this should be my tank for the foreseeable future.
An excellent companion in the fire eel, but what I said about ornate needing a place to hide goes doubly so for the eel of fire. I went through 3 eels before I got one that stuck with me. Eels just need to hide, they love to burrow after all. When I got my little fire eel, he hid from me for a good week or 2. Wonderful fish, but the pickiest eater of all my fish, only accepts blood worms when small, and graduates to nightcrawlers and chunks of prawn. Once the fire eel acclimated to its new environment and my ugly mug, he was out and about regularly, but if care is not taken early, you will lose them at the drop of a hat.

Now 2 years later he is pretty big, more than a foot long, and getting very thick (possible female?) Always greets me to be fed and not at all shy. Even pokes his nose above the waters surface to see if I am holding his favorite snacks.

I plan to start injecting the shrimp chunks with blood parrot red enhancing pellets, want to really color him up.

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
I've used multiple pieces of PVC pipe in the past, he would still always hang out in that corner, ignoring the PVC pipe. I'm starting to agree with Binge, possibly he's just to much of a snob :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store