Paratheraps/Vieja tank.

Cichlidfever

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Bowie, MD.
Looking at Ragin_cajun tank, it inspired me to inquire what if... I would love to have a tank similar to his, if I reorganize my 360 gallon tank, I wonder would it be possible to achieve something similar to his? Is 360 gallon tank to small, because I realize that he has a 540 gallon which is a lot more tank?

I am thinking starting with young/small Paratheraps/Vieja cichlids, such as Breidohri, Melanurum, Zonatum, Argentea, Escondido, and Blackbelt. and maybe a few small cichlids, firemouth, convict, salvini, nicaraguense. Maybe add a Midas and perhaps take something away...

I realize, each case is different, that it could work and possible not work, I have a 120 gallon in case I need to move something... I guess what I am asking do I even have a chance with such a smaller tank?

Also, using the platform that I am using, should I take away some cichlids, to have more of a chance, if so which one or ones?

I do keep my tanks landscape well... Please tell me what you think, again I realize the real answer is probably, I will hit or miss... but I am just putting my feelers out to see if perhaps I could be missing someithing... Because IMO it would be nice to have such tank :)

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Yeah it would work in a 360. Seriously, call Rapps and Dan at CoA, get 3-4 of each of the species you listed, put 'em in there. You have the tank already, that's the hardest part.

Hope you have a good gravel vac. ROTFL. I vacuum that tank twice a week, it's never enough.

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

Cichlidfever

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Bowie, MD.
Oh Ok, I am going to take your advice, thanks :) What is the difference between a Synspillum, and a Melanurum?

Cichlidfever

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Bowie, MD.
In your opinion which one looks the best and which one is the more aggressive?

Cichlidfever

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Bowie, MD.
Where do I find Dan at CoA?
hmm... I am hoping I get more advice and suggestions and/or thoughts...

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
rapps is http://tangledupincichlids.com , and dan is http://cichlidsoftheamericas.com.

Melanurum and Synspilum both are pretty much the same, aggression level is usually pretty mild until they realize they're big fish. They both grow really fast.

I'd say all Vieja are pretty much the same aggression level, Zonatus being a bit meaner than the rest generally. They all co-exist pretty well in a big tank. I think the stories you hear about how mean they can get is when they're in smallish tanks, or spawning.

Argentea are nasty, especially to each other.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Obviously Ragin is the man on point for this, but I agree it can work. Get lots of juvies and then make it a weed out process.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Oh Ok, I am going to take your advice, thanks :) What is the difference between a Synspillum, and a Melanurum?
They are both the same fish.
The fish were first assigned the name melanurum when first collected.Years later the name was changed to synspilum.
Later still a more orange looking variant was found from Belize.
The fish was believed to be a different species as it was more orange than the synspilums from Mexico. The old name melanurum was re used for the Belize fish.
Eventually dna tests were done and proved that the synspilum and melanurum are infact the same species. Melanurum was the first name assigned so synspilum is dropped and the fish today is called veija melanura.
The name synspilum no longer applies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store