Jewel cichlids fry.

Fish freak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2016
I actually got some Jewel cichlid fry from someone who ended up with too many babies I almost rescue fish but now I'm just wondering because I never had jewel cichlids plenty of others cichlids just not in Jewel wondering how long it would take them to reach full size right now they are about half an inch to an inch. And what should I feed them at this stage

Fish freak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2016
It depends on the tank size and protein level in food. Max jewel cichlid size i saw is around 3-4inch size
Right now they seem to enjoy Hikari cichlids pellets mini. They seem to tear those things apart. And then occasionally I'll give them some tropical fish flakes. And they came from the lady in a 5 gallon and I moved them to a 10 gallon till I can set up the bigger one. I'm a split them into 2, 10 gallons because at the moment I don't have a 20 or anything bigger than a 10 for that matter except for a 300 where I have my Oscar's other cichlids and my synispulum. I wish I knew how long it would take them to get to full size because I'd like to put them in the 300 or get a 55 or something similar to put them in

Zachk29

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2015
California
Jewels can get between 3-6 inches. My friend had some and they grew at a medium rate, but I'm not sure how long it would take them to reach the max adult size. He fed his hikari pellets also.

Fish freak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2016
They love hikari pellets. I also give them frozen bloodworms once to twice a week and then some flakes also to make sure they are fully fed. I now have them in 3 different 20 gallons till the 60 is set up but some are still tinny and then some are 2 inches.

Reactions: tlindsey

Zachk29

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2015
California
Sounds like your set to go then. Never been a big fan of jewels but they do look pretty awesome.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store