New 40 gallon breeder tank! :)

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
So I'm not supper new to the aquarium world but don't know about certain stuff.

I recently bought a 40 gallon breeder tank to grow out some fish to put into my 125gallon that's already set up with fish.

The breeder tank I was thinking about going a different route and maybe do a plant type of tank with the fish but not sure if this is wise for the purpose of the tank alone. Also, does that affect the cycle in the tank to be established for fish?

Would it be best if I just put sand on the bottom of the tank and call it a day? Lol

Honestly, main purpose of this tank right now is to just grow the fish bigger.

Right now I have the fluval 110 filter going with a new sponge and the 50 gallon chemi-blue product. Water was conditioned for a 50 gallon tank.

IMG_1369.JPG

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I'm not supper new to the aquarium world but don't know about certain stuff.

I recently bought a 40 gallon breeder tank to grow out some fish to put into my 125gallon that's already set up with fish.

The breeder tank I was thinking about going a different route and maybe do a plant type of tank with the fish but not sure if this is wise for the purpose of the tank alone. Also, does that affect the cycle in the tank to be established for fish?

Would it be best if I just put sand on the bottom of the tank and call it a day? Lol

Honestly, main purpose of this tank right now is to just grow the fish bigger.

Right now I have the fluval 110 filter going with a new sponge and the 50 gallon chemi-blue product. Water was conditioned for a 50 gallon tank.

View attachment 1206805

Tbh I would add the sand, and a couple of plants like anubias or java fern specie. Don't make sand bed to thick for myself about 2inchs max, I suggest pool filter sand or aquarium sand sold in the lfs. That 110 is going to create a strong current so that is my reason for suggesting the 2 inch layer. Sand will cause the filter to get loud, and can damage your filter 's propeller if to much sand gets sucked in.

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
Tbh I would add the sand, and a couple of plants like anubias or java fern specie. Don't make sand bed to thick for myself about 2inchs max, I suggest pool filter sand or aquarium sand sold in the lfs. That 110 is going to create a strong current so that is my reason for suggesting the 2 inch layer. Sand will cause the filter to get loud, and can damage your filter 's propeller if to much sand gets sucked in.
Well I would like to eventually get a canister filter going but it's not happening just yet.

The aquarium sand was the route I was going to take but maybe I shouldn't if the sand is going to get in it? How hard is it to vacum the sand from the poop and such.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Well I would like to eventually get a canister filter going but it's not happening just yet.

The aquarium sand was the route I was going to take but maybe I shouldn't if the sand is going to get in it? How hard is it to vacum the sand from the poop and such.

Just unplug the filter before adding the sand, rinse the sand of the dust before adding to the aquarium. Let the sand settle before plugging 110 backup as far as vacuuming same as gravel just crimp hose and raise tube this will cause the sand to fall back in place.

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
Just unplug the filter before adding the sand, rinse the sand of the dust before adding to the aquarium. Let the sand settle before plugging 110 backup as far as vacuuming same as gravel just crimp hose and raise tube this will cause the sand to fall back in place.
Okay cool. Once sand settles, the 110 should be fine right? I won't get any issues? Or is there still a possibility of that sand getting in the 110

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Okay cool. Once sand settles, the 110 should be fine right? I won't get any issues? Or is there still a possibility of that sand getting in the 110

Just unplug 110 while siphoning during wc's and as long as the fish isn't a larger burrowing fish like for example a ray you should be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store