Sa lungfish

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
Have 2x 4" South American lung fish in quantile right now

How quickly do they grow? They are eating blood works right now. Feed a pinch of frozen 2-3 times per day. Tank is half filled with Java moss they seem to like it? what else should I feed at this size?

They have bright yellow spots do these fade away as they age?

Appreciate any inputs. Please no trolls they have never kept this fish.

Thanks!

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
I've never kept one but always wanted to so I've done some reading. I do know they're relatively slow growers but end up pretty big - 3+ feet. They'll eat pretty much anything meaty, mainly fish. Also, those gold spots will fade with age. Give them a search on animal-world.com, that site always offers nice detailed care profiles. Good luck with your new fish, I'm a little jealous!

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
They will get at least a foot long in first year. I fed frozen blood worms and live black worms for a few months. Then pellets. Really nice fish.

Reactions: arowanaman85

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
moved them into tank last night, they are eating well and seem to like new tank, let the plants grow out to the surface and they seem to enjoy just resting into the stems and popping head out to breath, and hanging around the bottom digging in the dirt, awesome fish so far!

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
They grow quite qucily at first, and then slow down.
The spots will fade with age.

Feed a varied diet as possible. Mine gets Massivore pellets, earthworms, Pleco chips, pieces of white fish, smelt, prawn, mussel, cockle. etc

Reactions: arowanaman85

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I've had mine since May - alternate feeding bottom feeder pellets, algae rounds, and tilapia pieces. When I got him he was about 2" long, and I'd say he's pushing 7", but he's not thick. I wouldn't call him a fast grower (nothing like my old silver aro), but he's definitely making steady progress. Probably another year before he can go in a big boy tank though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store