Cheap Tank

808_fairladyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Hilo, Hawaii
So far I've spent 238.00 on wood, and 128.00 for fiberglass and hardware. I'll still need my silicon sealant, viewing material, wood trimmings, stains, and sealants. Not to bad in comparison to how much an all glass or all acrylic aquarium cost. Before I started this plywood build, I checked to see how much enough 1/2 inch acrylic cost to build an aquarium 72x28x36 and just the acrylic itself was 2700.00 dollars! This build is bigger for a fraction of the cost.

Sent from my LG-P509 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Try going to your local pet store and see if they can order one for you. Usually they can get tanks for cheaper from the supplier if they already have a relationship and can maybe cut you a good deal. Or else look for a wholesaler of fish tanks around you, they aren't always open to the public but some do open to the public on certain days. i wouldn't go the diy route as something that large can have too many problems go wrong unless you know exactly what you are doing. Spend a little more money and get quality.
Agreed. My lfs owner cut 500 off my 180 plus threw in an all glass top all brand new

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
If u live in California or you're willing to make the drive, fishtankfactory gets awesome affordable tanks. Bought my 360, stand, and 125 gallon sump from them.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
I would have no problem with a plywood tank if I built it myself, having complete control of the materials used. A quality grade of birch plywood, screwed and epoxyed, corners reinforced and fiberglassed, and sealed with "pond seal". But I have worked with my hands my whole life, and I'm getting to be kind of an old fart. I would be leery of purchasing one build by someone else unless I knew the person well and had confidence in his abilities. That said, the materials for a properly constructed plywood tank will still set you back several hundred dollars. Remember the 7 P's, proper planning and preparation prevents piss poor performance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store