Serrasalmus Irritans growth rate

kevbc03

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Cleveland
I think we've all struggled with our photo-taking some time or another, can't fault him for that :p

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
At this point the little booger is a smidgen over two inches and weaned off of live feeders. Will post some more pics when I get a chance to buy a DSLR.

Kaspern

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
Denmark
I know for personal experience, that you cannot really expect something specific, due to the fact that there are many different factor which plays a role in growth.
When i got my first piranhas, i was unexperienced, and they did not growth fast, due to stress and overfeeding, which made them **** and puke it all out again. (Pellets). They went from about 2 inch to 4 inch in 6 months, no succes! I got rid of them, and started out fresh! And they went from about 2 inch to about 7 inch in 6 months. That is Pygo nattereri of course.

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
I know for personal experience, that you cannot really expect something specific, due to the fact that there are many different factor which plays a role in growth.
When i got my first piranhas, i was unexperienced, and they did not growth fast, due to stress and overfeeding, which made them **** and puke it all out again. (Pellets). They went from about 2 inch to 4 inch in 6 months, no succes! I got rid of them, and started out fresh! And they went from about 2 inch to about 7 inch in 6 months. That is Pygo nattereri of course.
Serrasalmus Irritans is the smallest of the piranhas, maxing out at 6" or so, which is why I selected this species. No worries about him out growing my 75 gallon tank. I have had this fish for about 3 months now. I have weaned it off of live feeders, and it has grown about 1/2" to 3/4" in that time. Pygos grow a lot faster. All the ones I have had grew 6" their first year.

Reactions: tlindsey

lightsout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Amazon
Just pulling your leg about the earlier pics....Nice fish 100% irritans.

75g is plenty of room for this guy. When he gets bigger I would add some wave makers to help out with growth.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store