Flowerhorn KOK Shrink!!

ZhenZhu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2016
Guys..one of my male Flowerhorn kok got shrunk(size of the KOK is getting reduced day by day) .He is active and eagerly having is feed , but by observing him for a few days I noticed his KOK size is getting fluctuated .Am planning to get him a female parrot cichlid (I also giving him some mirror excercise) .Will that would be helpful to get his KOK size increased?Give me some suggestions I know its common but I just want him back again.

Thanks

FishyTJ

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2016
Im assuming you know whether your water parameters have changed or anything, but hes probably stressed over something. Are you leaving him in the dark more etc.? My flowerhorn is in a 220 and has been challenged by larger fish and it greatly reduces his kok, once the fish is gone within 24 hours the kok is coming back, by the fourth day unstressed the its bigger and as good as ever. Look at his behavior outside of feeding times, does it seem abnormal in the slightest bit, maybe hovering in the same spot longer than usual? Dont panic it will come back just as good once you find what gets him going again. Maybe he has a parasite look around

Reactions: ZhenZhu

ZhenZhu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2016
Im assuming you know whether your water parameters have changed or anything, but hes probably stressed over something. Are you leaving him in the dark more etc.? My flowerhorn is in a 220 and has been challenged by larger fish and it greatly reduces his kok, once the fish is gone within 24 hours the kok is coming back, by the fourth day unstressed the its bigger and as good as ever. Look at his behavior outside of feeding times, does it seem abnormal in the slightest bit, maybe hovering in the same spot longer than usual? Dont panic it will come back just as good once you find what gets him going again. Maybe he has a parasite look around
Thanks for your reply. In fact I changed him to a newer tank from the old one in which he had grown up a week before .As you said he acted strangely by sitting in one corner but active enough when I bring my hands near to him and also during feeding. Now I just got him to his older tank now he is acting normal let's hope for his kok to groom as it looked before.

FishyTJ

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2016
Oh he is just settling in, he will do just as well in the new tank just give it some time. Take it from someone who has absolutely no patience haha but I assume u planned on the new tank for a reason so put him back and just give it time (especially if its larger). Flowerhorns are extremely hardy, ive seen mine with SEVERE ick and he would still eat like a pig so I wouldnt take that as an indication that he isnt stressed. I can confidently say it was the tank switch and since you already experienced a kok decrease i would just put him back in the new one and wait it out. Growing back to a previous kok size is much faster than trying to get the kok to grow bigger than it has ever been.

Reactions: ZhenZhu

FishyTJ

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2016
I have shared similar worries when i left on vacation and his kok was almost completely gone by the time i got back due to the light being off the whole time. sure enough though it always comes back.

ZhenZhu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2016
I have shared similar worries when i left on vacation and his kok was almost completely gone by the time i got back due to the light being off the whole time. sure enough though it always comes back.
Yes I would try again by changing him to the new tank but right now he is enjoying in his older one so I would let him for some days and will do a water change and again I would bring him back to his newer one.

ZhenZhu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2016
Any other help here.. Still his kok has no improvement after I introduced him to his old tank. Now he is very active like before but he looks bald.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store