New Red Devils - Amphilophus Labiatus

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
Well "manual" focus lol. The iPhone has a focus lock that you can kind of use like a manual focus. It shuts off the autofocus. It's way easier to take pictures that way imo.
I know what you mean Ehh. I did the same when I had my iPhone. I've been using the manual focus on my camera for these shots.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I know what you mean Ehh. I did the same when I had my iPhone. I've been using the manual focus on my camera for these shots.
If I had a real camera I'd probably do the same. It's easier to wait for the fish to swim into focus than focus on the fish.

Reactions: joegriggs

reefman

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
In front of my tanks
Did you get these from a reputable dealer. Just saying I don't think there true labiatus. Every amp. Labiatus I've seen has huge lips yours do not. Here's one from rapps notice the lips

images.jpg

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
Did you get these from a reputable dealer. Just saying I don't think there true labiatus. Every amp. Labiatus I've seen has huge lips yours do not. Here's one from rapps notice the lips

View attachment 1204534
I was under the impression that all wild caught specimens have much larger lips in comparison to captive bred lines anyway. Even wild caught Red Devils loose the chunky lips when moved and bred in captivity because it's a characteristics developed to help them with things such as feeding in their wild habitat. Baring in mind that my fish are only reaching around 3-4" in length, so they still have a fair bit to grow anyway. I ordered the specific line in from one of my local and very reputable LFS under "Amphilophus Labiatus", with the manager almost certain that he'd be able to get some Red Devils, not Midas or Midevils. I know the manager and he has sorted me and other friends out with some great quality fish. I can actually see a lot of similarity in Rapps pictures in regards to characteristics though, for example the V shaped lips and body shape. I see where you are coming from though.

Reactions: Frank Castle

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
Small update - the largest Red Devil has clearly become the dominant in the tank. I've been considering seperating him into his own individual tank because of the stress he is causing towards other fish. Aside from that they are colouring and growing up nicely. He has developed a nuchal hump rather rapidly, which can be seen in the most recent snap.

More pics soon..

IMG_0510.JPG

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Nice colors on him I like the little spots on his tail

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
Another picture...

IMG_0517.JPG

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
What a little stunner. Look at that domer he's growing too.
Awesome update. Thanks.

Reactions: joegriggs
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store