60ft x 15ft x 10ft tall 'Dream Tank'

digginrays

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
lake norman
It looks to me like you'll have to remove the floor of the room since its so close to the tilt-up walls foundation and create a separate foundation for the combination of walls and floors and now water load.tiltups foundations are usually 30" wide x 18" deep (in California earthquake country) and that's a serious weight load at any depth..a structural engineer will have to be involved to calculate minimums.It sounds like a helluva lotta fun though!

Reactions: vincentwugwg

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Thanks for the expert info CJ... I hope east coast building codes are different :) I do have a structural engineer handy and will heed his advice before breaking ground. Are you traveling the world or still in the states?

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
There is a material made for body/vehicle/aircraft armor applications that is similar to metal and can stop a .50 Cal Armor Piercing round within 1.5 inches. That is incredible to be able to stop that much kinetic force in such a small area. I don't know if it would be useful in aquarium applications due to the different stress points (constant pressure vs a single devastating impact) nor how much it would cost, or even if permission could be gotten for use in civilian applications, but it might be something to look into.
www.tssbulletproof.com/optically-clear-aluminun-provides-bulletproof-protection
www.surmet.com also has ALON (cooyright) armor that is very similar.
Their standard sheets are 18 x 35 inches

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Wish I could offer words of advice but I've no experience with large setups as such. But I will say I can't wait to see what you do with that space!

digginrays

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
lake norman
Thanks for the expert info CJ... I hope east coast building codes are different :) I do have a structural engineer handy and will heed his advice before breaking ground. Are you traveling the world or still in the states?
i'm involved in my own pond mess's here in north Carolina..nothing of your scale though..my fish room is a hundredth the size of yours! keep us updated on this! it seriously sounds like a blast to construct.

jhook

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
Bama
Their standard sheets are 18 x 35 inches
They are, but from working with them in a R&D setting, their engineers are very willing to try pretty much anything if it may be feasible at all. I believe the limiting factor was their oven size. It usually depended on our budget size. It is an interesting concept for the future.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Hmm only advice would be to call the makers of those public aquariums, other than that I got nothing. If you need someone to scuba dive to clean it though I gotcha covered, I'm certified ;)

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Albeit I'm no expert on large tanks, I would definitely suggest lowering the hight from 10' to about 6-7'. Not only do you save a ton of material building the tank but also (literal) tonnes of weight. And that hight IMO is still more than enough, at 10' you'd have to make the tank accessible from two floors of the house for proper viewing and maintenance.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I wanna see this..

Scratch that, I HAVE to see this!

Do it Vince, do it for all us dreamers and wannabes! Make our dreams your reality! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store