New Red Devils - Amphilophus Labiatus

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
What a little stunner. Look at that domer he's growing too.
Awesome update. Thanks.
Blimey he's come along way in a short space of time
I know right. I'm amazed too with his progress. He's reaching around 5-6" in length now, while the other less dominant Red Devil's around 4-5". Thanks guys.

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
if that's a male everything in that tank is doomed lolololol

Corys and Acaras stand no chance against even a small male labiatus
Haha, yes Frank, as I found out the hard way... Surprisingly, not with one of the Corys or Acaras, but with a bright pink Blood Parrot that I was temporarily housing for my girlfriend - he was looking perfectly healthy and continued to eat fine for the first couple of days, but then on this one occasion I visited the tank to see a rather beaten up parrot lying in one of the pots :mad:

My initial plan was to move them into their own separate 100/120G tank, but most of the aggression is towards the smaller less dominant Devil which makes me worry that the move wouldn't solve much. I've considered separating them into their own individual tanks, but that wouldn't be ideal for me and I was rather hoping a larger tank with less of a community would solve these issues. Any suggestions? I'm hoping to move them this weekend.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
I would put them in there own individual tanks and try get some females to pair with them or you could try a heavily stocked all male amphilophus tank not my personal cup of tea but it is the best way to keep them in a community.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Haha, yes Frank, as I found out the hard way... Surprisingly, not with one of the Corys or Acaras, but with a bright pink Blood Parrot that I was temporarily housing for my girlfriend - he was looking perfectly healthy and continued to eat fine for the first couple of days, but then on this one occasion I visited the tank to see a rather beaten up parrot lying in one of the pots :mad:

My initial plan was to move them into their own separate 100/120G tank, but most of the aggression is towards the smaller less dominant Devil which makes me worry that the move wouldn't solve much. I've considered separating them into their own individual tanks, but that wouldn't be ideal for me and I was rather hoping a larger tank with less of a community would solve these issues. Any suggestions? I'm hoping to move them this weekend.
When it comes to male Amphilophus, your best bet if you're not gonna house him alone or with other equally brutal monsters, is put him in with a female much larger than himself - if you can find a female twice his size, you're in good shape. He is the one that must be moved or he will keep killing - that's what male Amphilophus do..........don't try pairing him w/ a smaller or equal sized female, think big - big girls

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
Update -

Unfortunately, due to lack of space and territorial problems, I had to get rid of the smaller, more pale Devil. The bigger guy still looks amazing though and after some changes, he's looking more beautiful and colourful then ever. Most likely reaching the 7-8" mark now.

IMG_1194.JPG

IMG_1195.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_1193.JPG

IMG_1192.JPG

Reactions: dan518

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
I've had a few pairs of Red Devils and currently have a juvenile Red Devil that I've been trying to get to bang my female Texas.

They're dicks. All of mine that I've had would not tolerate tank mates after about 4" long. The juvenile I have now is getting donated because I picked up a beautiful Red Texas last week.

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
Update -

I had to separate him due to his aggression, so he's now solo. Here's a few more recent pictures.

IMG_2338.JPG
IMG_2336.JPG
IMG_2339.JPG IMG_2337.JPG

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
This is my 9" Labiatus...

DSC_0016.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG

Lip size doesn't play into it with correctly identifying this species... its the general proportions and shape of the mouth.

Heres an illustration I did quite a while ago....

Scan 1.jpeg
Looking at the specimen you have I'm thinking its closer to Citrinellus ;)

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
This is my 9" Labiatus...

View attachment 1258543
View attachment 1258542

Lip size doesn't play into it with correctly identifying this species... its the general proportions and shape of the mouth.

Heres an illustration I did quite a while ago....

View attachment 1258544
Looking at the specimen you have I'm thinking its closer to Citrinellus ;)
Thanks for you're input. I ordered this fish through my LFS so it could well be. Great illustration and thanks for sharing. Hopefully it will help others to identify.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store