Flowerhorn laying eggs but need help

Stedz2121

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2016
So my female is laying eggs but male is divided should I take out the divider so the male can fertilise the eggs. Or should I put the eggs on the males side for few house then back with the female? Any help would be very welcome thank you

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
It's already too late, the male should do his thing while the female laying eggs not after for sometime.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The male has to fertilise the eggs on his own when he
is ready to spawn with the female , like Yuki stated during time female is laying.

Reactions: Yuki Rihwa

Stedz2121

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2016
How close does the male have to be to fertilize the eggs? If I put the pot right next to the divider will he do his thing from there?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
How close does the male have to be to fertilize the eggs? If I put the pot right next to the divider will he do his thing from there?
he should be able to.....if it doesn't work, pull the divider and let them spawn, supervised since they can get very aggressive during a spawn. As long as he's not beating on her they are cool, nipping and prodding is part of the spawning process, but if you start to see her missing scales and torn fins, split them back up. Give it a week in between ....she won't lay again immediately.....it could be another 5-15 days before she lays again

Reactions: tlindsey

Stedz2121

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2016
I did take out the divider but they did lock lips a few times but it seemed the smaller female was going after the male more. But he caught her by the gill. On the other hand they was ignoring each other for 5/10 mins a time. Is any of this behaviour a good sign?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Just make sure they don't get overly aggressive towards each other like Frank stated. Sometimes females get too aggressive towards the male and will result in male getting the hell beat out of him.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Just make sure they don't get overly aggressive towards each other like Frank stated. Sometimes females get too aggressive towards the male and will result in male getting the hell beat out of him.
.....and vice versa. If the male wants to breed and the female isn't ready, he will kill HER.

This is why I said GIVE IT A WEEK.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store