LFS won't stock CA/SA Cichlids

NorCaliCichlids

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
California
For all the above stated really. Africans are mean but you can crowd them up in a tank better than CA's. Generally they are prettier and only get about 5" in a lot of cases. Africans are also cheaper and easier to care for. I kept Tanganyikans for a while and while pretty they are pretty boring. CA/SA have personality, something lacking in african cichlids IMO. I even kept some madagascan cichlids for a while, the rare stuff and they still don't compare personality wise! Community fish are what really sell. Those and Africans.....BOO! LOL

NorCaliCichlids

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
California
For all the above stated really. Africans are mean but you can crowd them up in a tank better than CA's. Generally they are prettier and only get about 5" in a lot of cases. Africans are also cheaper and easier to care for as let's face it most hobbyists likely have a 55g or smaller. I kept Tanganyikans for a while and while pretty they are pretty boring. CA/SA have personality, something lacking in african cichlids IMO. I even kept some madagascan cichlids for a while, the rare stuff and they still don't compare personality wise! Community fish are what really sell. Those and Africans.....BOO! LOL

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
For all the above stated really. Africans are mean but you can crowd them up in a tank better than CA's. Generally they are prettier and only get about 5" in a lot of cases. Africans are also cheaper and easier to care for. I kept Tanganyikans for a while and while pretty they are pretty boring. CA/SA have personality, something lacking in african cichlids IMO. I even kept some madagascan cichlids for a while, the rare stuff and they still don't compare personality wise! Community fish are what really sell. Those and Africans.....BOO! LOL
I have been tempted to keep African cichlds, but have heard this from many people.
African cichlid seem a lot more colorful, but that only seems to apply to males in a lot of speices. It seems all CA/SA females have color.
But my question is there a bioload difference? If I overcrowd CA/SA, it means lots of water changes.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There should be no difference dissolved waste is the same in either case.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store