Getting shocked

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
The ground missing isn't the problem. Even with it missing, the 120V shouldn't be coming in contact with the water. The reason you get shocked is because you create a path to ground when you touch the water. Your fish are ok because they are not creating a path to ground when they are swimming around.

If you have a voltmeter, you can put one prong into the ground of an outlet and touch the other to the water. Then, try unplugging one item at a time and see which one stops the electricity when its unplugged. If you don't have a voltmeter, you can always just touch the water and see when the shocking stops. It's only 120V, but do so at your own risk.

The ground prong on your power strip only works if the equipment plugged into it has a ground prong on it, which most of my equipment doesn't have one.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
The ground missing isn't the problem. Even with it missing, the 120V shouldn't be coming in contact with the water. The reason you get shocked is because you create a path to ground when you touch the water. Your fish are ok because they are not creating a path to ground when they are swimming around.

If you have a voltmeter, you can put one prong into the ground of an outlet and touch the other to the water. Then, try unplugging one item at a time and see which one stops the electricity when its unplugged. If you don't have a voltmeter, you can always just touch the water and see when the shocking stops. It's only 120V, but do so at your own risk.

The ground prong on your power strip only works if the equipment plugged into it has a ground prong on it, which most of my equipment doesn't have one.

All of the equipment that was hooked up into that surge protector had a ground prong

2 800 watts titanium heaters and 1 laguna max flow 2900

Yours may not have it bc ur runing a smaller tank with smaller eqipment.......majority of equipment has a ground prong

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
This has happened to 100% of the titanium heaters I have owned. I hate those heaters. Some swear by them but considering I am 0 for 3 on heaters and all shock when they fail I refuse to use them anymore.
This sucks reason i got them was bc i thought they would be safer then glass heaters.....they were the catalina ones with temp control.

What would u sugest to use on a 600?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
This sucks reason i got them was bc i thought they would be safer then glass heaters.....they were the catalina ones with temp control.

What would u sugest to use on a 600?
I use the Fluval e-series 300w. I just use multiple (redundancy is a good thing with heaters anyway). Ray safe and far more reliable IMO.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
All of the equipment that was hooked up into that surge protector had a ground prong

2 800 watts titanium heaters and 1 laguna max flow 2900

Yours may not have it bc ur runing a smaller tank with smaller eqipment.......majority of equipment has a ground prong
That very well may be true, but I can tell you that the ground prong is there to protect you in the case that your equipment becomes faulty, not to keep your equipment from electrifying the tank. If you are getting shocked then there is definitely something wrong with one of the pieces of equipment in your setup. From the suggestions given, I would say it's a good chance it's your heater(s). Try unplugging them and then give the water a quick touch and see if you don't get shocked...I don't think you will.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
You need to test everything by unplugging them one at time, heaters, pumps, and even lights, any of them could be the problem. Although heaters are notorious, and I have had that problem with titanium type before, a hanging light cord in touch with water can also be a problem.
It can also be helpful to get a grounding probe, these plug into a grounded socket and help absorb excess current.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3946
It can lessen to shock enough to save you from having heart failure.

Reactions: SandNukka15
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store