Is this Lymph virus on my la' ceiba!?

Rsc89

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2016
Can anyone clairify if this is lymphocystis (Lymph?). I posted over in the disease section over there and it is sloooow motion over there with no response.

mods if you could leave this here id appreciate it as there is more traffic in this section of the forum.

I bought these from one of the big distributors everyone purchases from. Was told male bit half the females tail off prior to shipping. The females tail is now growing back along with these growths. The one on the anal fin looks like a tumor and the tail are ball like growth.

Now the male is starting to develop these on his tail fin and dorsal. As of now they almost look like "ich" spots on the male. It is not ich and they grow in size.

Any idea what this is? If its lymph I need to know so i can contact him for a refund or new fish.

They are divides by themselves in a 150 gallon. 80f water 50% wc every 4 days as of now.

Pic of female. I couldnt get the males to show with my phone as they are small dots still... id say 6 total on the male. Alot on female as of now and they arent going away. Tail fin...base of anal fin

I have never had any type of disease other than ich in the past 6yrs and i feel my whole 150gallon is now infected with this lymph virus im reading about on google.

20161021_231856.jpg 20161021_232304.jpg

Rsc89

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2016
My pics make the grows appear cotton like... they are not cotton like nor do they appear fuzzy. They look like small tumors

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
it looks like it could be lymphocysts.....try treating it w/ a 3 in 1 like Polyguard and if it doesn't go away, you have your answer

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
My pics make the grows appear cotton like... they are not cotton like nor do they appear fuzzy. They look like small tumors
That looks and sounds more like a fungus. I would treat w/ meds and aquarium salt.
I feel your pain. Sometimes when you do everything right for the fish's health, they still have issues :(

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
"If" it is Lymph, Lymph is a virus, it is ubiquitous much like the common cold in humans, and treating a virus with meds is usually useless. A virus must run its corse and be defeated by the fish's own immune system. Water changes, a clean healthy envirinment, and lack of stress are the key, and of course, watching for secondary infection..
If it is not lymph that's a diiferent story.
I had some breidhori shipped, and the stress of shipping seemed to cause lymph. I did daily water changes, and they were lymph free in about a week or two.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
"If" it is Lymph, Lymph is a virus, it is ubiquitous much like the common cold in humans, and treating a virus with meds is usually useless. A virus must run its corse and be defeated by the fish's own immune system. Water changes, a clean healthy envirinment, and lack of stress are the key, and of course, watching for secondary infection..
If it is not lymph that's a diiferent story.
I had some breidhori shipped, and the stress of shipping seemed to cause lymph. I did daily water changes, and they were lymph free in about a week or two.
ya, I was gonna say, my female Texas had it, and I used Paraguard and it seemed to clear them up mostly, but I kept pristine water quality after that and it finished the job and kept them from coming back. IDK WHY the Paraguard helped, it didn't make sense, but it did help a fair amount for some strange reason

Rsc89

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2016
I forgot to mention i have tried salt for the past 2 weeks with temps at steady 80f with water changes every 4 days. It looks like a fungus from the pictures as im zooming in with my phone and with zoom everything gets grainy. I know lmphy is a virus, i was hoping it was not lymph as its a huge PITA having things tank specific for this particular pair in hopes of not spreading it to my other tanks. I got this pair sept 23rd and they have been divided since waiting for the females tail to grow back as I didnt want her stressed with a half missing tail. None of my festae that were in this tank prior ever had an issue so i know there wasnt anything lingering and it has been running for a good 14 months.

What im most upset about is the fact i believe the lymph was on the fish prior to shipping and was cut off in hopes of it not coming back.... Which is greasy but im going to give the benifit of the doubt...i just dont want to have to take the whole thing down and sterilize everything. The females tail fin rays appeared clean cut across the rays horizontal and vertical...i was told the male bit the portion off. I know when my festae get ahold of a tail its never a clean slice horizontal and vertical through the rays.

I didnt intend on purchasing sick fish, i bought these as a pair and with the stress of spawn and the ritual involved this female is always going to have these warts/tumors all over and more than likely pass the virus to the fry as well.

This was my first time ordering online and it turned into a headache. I dont even want the fish anymore and everyone that i offer them to say " I dunno, looks like lymph but i could be wrong". Cant even give the things away and i paid good money for them. Jusy an unfortunate situation.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Are you going to attempt to treat it with medicine or not? Treat it w. Polyguard and if it doesn't go away, it's Lymphs. Can't give you a better answer because there isn't one

Reactions: cichlidfish

Rsc89

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2016
Yeah, im going to get some polyguard and some paraguard and double dose it. Seachem recommended someone do that in their FAQ section on their website. Supposed to be receiving a replacement next week for the female. Just hope its not indeed lymph as I would still be shy a male as he would be infected. Hopefully it goes away

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Yeah, im going to get some polyguard and some paraguard and double dose it. Seachem recommended someone do that in their FAQ section on their website. Supposed to be receiving a replacement next week for the female. Just hope its not indeed lymph as I would still be shy a male as he would be infected. Hopefully it goes away
you don't need Paraguard if you have Poly guard. Just get Polyguard

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store