GH question

brianf40

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
SO my gh out of tap is low and i want to bring my gh up in my water change buckets. Am i right in saying that epson salt does not evaporate from the main tank. So, if i were to top my tank off with water with epson salt in it, it will cause my gh in my tank to keep rising? correct? SO i should only be adding water to the main tank when im taking equal amout of water out during water changes?

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I would focus on KH and let GH fall where it may. Your GH is already 5 isn't it?

brianf40

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
5 in tank but tap its between 1 and 2

My concern was if i keep adding my tap to the tank it will cause my tank gh to decrease as well. I do have crushed coral as substrate and in filter but im not sure if that will impact my gh. It must do something or i guess my tank would not read 5

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
GH is general hardness, and can be any of the mineral components of water. Iron, calcium, manages, the list goes on. Epsom salt is only 1 small component of GH.
Sounds like the alkalinity of the tap is low, and the reason the water drops right away.
Now I see why in your other thread you asked about baking soda.
You probably need to add some with every water change, and also need to use a calcium rich substrate like aragonite, and maybe even a fluidized bed reactor using aragonite, to keep hard water cichlids.
If I had your water, I'd be trying to keep soft water species like west Africans, or something like Uaru fernadenzeppzzii.
Its funny I had hard water, but always wanted the above Uaru, but because of my water, I could never keep them

Reactions: tlindsey

brianf40

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Sounds like the alkalinity of the tap is low, and the reason the water drops right away.

What did u mean drops? My ph out of the tap is 7.8 but my kh is low around 2. I want to add baking soda to buffer my kh up to 8 so it will prevent a ph crash. Yes my gh is low out of tap but in tank it's 5. Should I be adding Epson salt? Or not worry about it? I've had others tell me that gh is important if you are buying wild caught fish but most fish are farm raised and adapt to it.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
5 in tank but tap its between 1 and 2

My concern was if i keep adding my tap to the tank it will cause my tank gh to decrease as well. I do have crushed coral as substrate and in filter but im not sure if that will impact my gh. It must do something or i guess my tank would not read 5

Welcome to MFK Brian

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store