What do you guys use for tank tops?

demonte1997

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2011
Connecticut
I need a cheapie top for my 20 gallon long tank. Doesn't have to be anything special. I was thinking something plastic or acrylic that is semi-translucent would be entirely sufficient. The Marineland and other glass canopies are insanely priced and more than I need. Did any of you just hit the hardware store or a larger online warehouse to get sheets of acrylic or something similar and just cut to fit? I figure that down the road, I might have larger aquarium systems in my basement, so I will need a cost effective solution.

Thanks for the help.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I think Petsmart has a folding glass top for about $20 if I remember right. I think you will spend that much or more for a piece of plexiglass at the hardware store.

Reactions: tlindsey

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
I need a cheapie top for my 20 gallon long tank. Doesn't have to be anything special. I was thinking something plastic or acrylic that is semi-translucent would be entirely sufficient. The Marineland and other glass canopies are insanely priced and more than I need. Did any of you just hit the hardware store or a larger online warehouse to get sheets of acrylic or something similar and just cut to fit? I figure that down the road, I might have larger aquarium systems in my basement, so I will need a cost effective solution.

Thanks for the help.
You will find out that glass is your best bet. Plexiglass warps. Thin acrylic bends. Thicker acrylic is expensive.

Reactions: tlindsey

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Another choice is twin wall polycarbonate panel though you will probably need to order online. I'm currently using it on 10G tanks but eventually plan on switching the other glass lidded tanks.

Reactions: Lady Sphinx

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
the most ghetto lid ive ever seen was saran/cling wrap for food and stuff lmao...
this guy covered the top real tight and just taped the edges and poked a hole
to feed and wc lol

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
the most ghetto lid ive ever seen was saran/cling wrap for food and stuff lmao...
this guy covered the top real tight and just taped the edges and poked a hole
to feed and wc lol
That's what i like to see, a serious hobbyist improvising. What a cheapskate. Did he actually have any water in his tank or was that too expensive for him, haha.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
That's what i like to see, a serious hobbyist improvising. What a cheapskate. Did he actually have any water in his tank or was that too expensive for him, haha.
he had water in it, had a wc festae pair in it, was a 240g tank lol
he tried to do something and ended up breaking his lids hahaha
of course being the nice guy i am i cut him some new lids from
the left over acrylic panels i had. well being nice and some free
f1 frys lol xD

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store