Under gravel for Aro?

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
I've got a 150 grow out for the silver aro I rescued a year ago and I'm waiting till it grows to about 24" before I transfer it to a intex pool pond. The issue is I've gotta siphon the gravel pretty often (which I don't mind) but sometimes I've got lots of school work and don't have time. I've got about 200 gal worth of filtration from the two canister filters but would an under gravel help with the build up of waste? I'm also getting some low growing plants like java moss and dwarf baby tears to grow over the gravel so would the filter be necessary? The left side is empty right now because I took out the Colosseum there because it had too much build up of waster underneath and I didn't like that.

unnamed (1).jpg

IMG_5838.JPG

IMG_5839.JPG

IMG_5840.JPG

Last edited:

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
The undergravel filter will work for a while until the gravel gets clogged up with the mulm. Then the water flow through the gravel will slow down. In order for the undergravel filter to work properly, you have to vacuum the gravel, just like you are doing now.

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
I siphon the gravel every week
If I get the undergravel will there be less build up and can I siphon every other week lol

Jennilyn

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2016
Maybe just add a powerhead to keep the waste circulated so your filter can do the work for you? Not a fan of undergravel filters. But that's just me.

Reactions: tlindsey

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
Maybe just add a powerhead to keep the waste circulated so your filter can do the work for you? Not a fan of undergravel filters. But that's just me.
I don't know about under gravel either
What are pros and cons
Also what does a power head mean like another flow or current?

Jennilyn

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2016
I don't think theirs much pros to the undergravel filter anymore. Cons... it's no gonna help keep you from doing less maintenance on the tank that you want.

The power head blowing over the gravel will help keep the waste suspended so that your canister filters can suck up the waste.

Another option is jus go bare bottom until school slows down and you have more time to maintain the tank.

I also suggest not adding plants if you want to keep maintenance easier. They will trap more waste.

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
I don't think theirs much pros to the undergravel filter anymore. Cons... it's no gonna help keep you from doing less maintenance on the tank that you want.

The power head blowing over the gravel will help keep the waste suspended so that your canister filters can suck up the waste.

Another option is jus go bare bottom until school slows down and you have more time to maintain the tank.

I also suggest not adding plants if you want to keep maintenance easier. They will trap more waste.
I was gonna go bare bottom but I like the gravel look as for the under gravel if there's really no benefit I'm not gonna get one
How would I install a powerhead that focuses on the bottom of the tank to create more flow?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store