What's Your Best Cleaning Method? (Seriously, This is Gross)

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Hahah lol. My 80 litre tank i got for free is pretty clean, just need to fix the base lol.

Vinegar is helpful for water stains or calcium deposits

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Hahah lol. My 80 litre tank i got for free is pretty clean, just need to fix the base lol.

Vinegar is helpful for water stains or calcium deposits
Vinegar is good for lots of things. I keep a bottle in my kitchen and a bottle in my bathroom... I love it. :D

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
got a water change maybe once every 4-5 months
Hello; Why so often? That's a bit of attempt at humor. I have seen tanks that never had a water change. Know a fellow who kept two tiger Oscars in a 55 gallon tank until they died. He only added water. He allowed the tank to sit until the water evaporated away. A while back he was thinking of setting up the tank and wanted to know if he could just fill it with water and be good to go. He did not like the process of cleaning the gravel I suggested.

Wouldn't a pressure hose smash the glass?
Hello; There are at least two ways to prevent this. One is to hold the tip a good distance away. Another is that most pressure washer tips can be adjusted from a pin point to a fan spray. Use the fan spray and keep some distance may work. I have never used a pressure washer on a tank so cannot say what other issues might arise.

One more thing I should keep to myself but my mean streak is coming out. One theory is when something is smelled that you are actually breathing in very tiny bits of the stuff.
Sorry about that. Guess my karma just took a hit. I may wind up as a Wal-Mart betta myself.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
What skjl said; put the setting on the pressure washer quite low and keep a bit of distance, you should be fine.

Just as a disclaimer, I've never done it with an actual pressure washer, I usually just press my finger over the hose so I'm not responsible if something goes wrong :p

Reactions: Frank Castle

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Ok, this being an 80L tank, I believe that is about 20 gallons, if I'm not mistaken. Why even keep the tank? Just throw it out and buy another one. They are not that expensive. Petsmart is selling them in their dollar per gallon sale right now (they also have their 10 gallon and 40 gallon tanks on sale for a dollar per gallon).

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Ok, this being an 80L tank, I believe that is about 20 gallons, if I'm not mistaken. Why even keep the tank? Just throw it out and buy another one. They are not that expensive. Petsmart is selling them in their dollar per gallon sale right now (they also have their 10 gallon and 40 gallon tanks on sale for a dollar per gallon).
Although not everyone has a Petsmart around the corner. They definitely do not run that bargain in my region. The shipping alone usually exceeds the purchase price

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
Normally I use a bleach and vinegar solution of one part bleach and nine parts vinegar, followed by numerous rinses and prime soakings but I'm wondering if anyone has a better way? This thing is gross and I don't feel like my 'usual' will cut it this time without a LOT of scrubbing..
This is the scariest thing I have ever read on this forum. Please never ever use this recipe for cleaning again. It is legitimately the recipe for toxic chlorine gas! First used as a weapon in WWI I really wouldn't recommend using it against a dirty fish tank.

I have found a long soak in water with vinegar and a razor blade to be the most effective. You can scrub all day but you won't get everything you could get with one or two passes of a sharp blade.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
In Stralia tanks are expensive

Reactions: Kittiee Katt
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store