what's your worst purchase

Lady Sphinx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
South Africa, Johannesburg
When I was a teen and just learning about fish I bought 2 male guppies and 4 female with a 10 G tank with money I saved just for that reason. I went to a sleep over and asked my brother to feed my fish when I got back home there were 2 Convits in my 10G tank and my Guppies where gone. My brother bought them and threw them in my tank cause he thought my freaking show guppies were boring. The Convict ate them. I was so angry with my brother I refused to even acknowledge his presence for two weeks. The Convicts breed but they didn't last very long cause I refused to look after them or to clean the tank. I didn't even try another fish tank until after I got married.

Last edited:

Vukmir13

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
Parrish, Florida
Electric Blue JD and a trio of German Rams, both are way too sensitive. Love them both tho, just can't seem to keep them alive and R/O water is not an option.

aromao

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2016
Singapore
8 African Cichlids - 4 different species and 2 of each ; 4 different colours that lit up my tank beautifully.
They were my first fishes and the fish shop owner convinced me to buy them and I placed them in a 10 gallon with a single cave as decor. Knew nothing about cycling and thus did not do it. Everyday for the next week, I came home to a 1 inch skeleton on the gravel. I thought I was a terrible fish owner (which I was) but it turned out that the fish shop owner was worse.. the shop closed down a few months ago.

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
I was thinking back to when I began keeping fish and remembered a few terrible purchases that I made. This fish looked so cool and with out homework I ordered 4 of them thinking they are the best thing ever. WRONG!!!!! This is the worst deal I ever picked up. Known as the chaka chaka catfish. looks cool but does absolutely nothing. they just sit there. Lesson learned do your homework. :(
My worst purchase? This thing called a marriage liscense. Lesson learned

Reactions: Rsc89 and Vukmir13

Arowin

Feeder Fish
Nov 11, 2015
Mine would be the puffer fish I bought 3 years back....
It was placed alone in a 55 gallon for quarantine.... Did not eat, always skittish...tried various brands and types of food but did not ate anything...even tried live food but it got scared from that too...
The only thing it did was this irritating sound of brushing it's front teeth together.... I don't know how it survived without food for 20+ days and one day died.. Felt very bad for that poor fellow...
There was nothing I could do.. Water parameters were fine... There was no issue with the filtration as it's a barebottom tank... Still did not survived... That SOB got me in so much guilt that I did not purchase anything for six months !

The Mother Confessor

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2017
UK
Electric Blue Jack Dempseys - Must have had about 10 of them over the years if I include the groups I got, always eventually dying, and they cost about £30 each here. They are wimp ass little sickly things. Beautiful, and I still love them, but I soon gave up with actually keeping them. I was really obsessed with the idea of having one actually grow up, but they all just died eventually. Usually from hex, despite constant hex treatments of the best stuff you can buy in the UK. That or stress. They might look like a Jack Dempsey, but they really aren't.

L Number Plecs - Had two really beautiful green phantoms and they wouldn't eat anything and died of starvation. Bloody things. Bloody expensive. About £35 each.

Plecs in general - They poop more than they clean up, and the bigger they get, the less algae they actually eat!

Barred Midas - They were juveniles and I thought they would grow out to look nice. Wrong. They grew up to be boring, grey, striped larger versions of the boring juveniles.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store