New proud owner

Adam Langley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2016
Unless you bought them already working as a functional "pair" the odds are against the two of them working out longer term. I'd work on a back up plan if/when the dominant one begins to attack the weaker one. If you search the data base at www.arowanaclub.ca I think you can find one case where an owner was successful with a two-Asian arowana set up. Usually it does not work.
Had to split them up...Smaller one was getting picked on. Noticed a small bite mark mark on her head, fins were starting to shred too. I could clearly see she was stressed. I brought some red hooks to try disperse the aggression but aro just ignores them. so no other choice but to separate them. Kinda cheesed off cause the guy I had em off said they'd been together a while, he talking out his ass. Put her in a standby tank, she looks much happier now...

stratos

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
Unless you plan to keep the two fish in separate tanks going forward, I'd do my best to groom them both to top physical health, then sell one of them. For both fish you should keep water temp high, around 28-30 C, add a tablespoon of salt per 10 gallons, and do 20-25% water weekly or even bi-weekly water changes. Keep the filter cleaned regularly, keep the Ph at 6.8 to 7. Don't feed live food. Get your fish onto pellets or thawed white shrimp. Buy the kind with shell on.

Chalk your "tried to keep two Asian arowana together" story down to experience and count yourself lucky. I've had Asian arowana jump over tank dividers before and kill the aro on the other side. It can happen really quick.

Welcome to the hobby :)

jon2016

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2016
Unless you plan to keep the two fish in separate tanks going forward, I'd do my best to groom them both to top physical health, then sell one of them. For both fish you should keep water temp high, around 28-30 C, add a tablespoon of salt per 10 gallons, and do 20-25% water weekly or even bi-weekly water changes. Keep the filter cleaned regularly, keep the Ph at 6.8 to 7. Don't feed live food. Get your fish onto pellets or thawed white shrimp. Buy the kind with shell on.

Chalk your "tried to keep two Asian arowana together" story down to experience and count yourself lucky. I've had Asian arowana jump over tank dividers before and kill the aro on the other side. It can happen really quick.

Welcome to the hobby :)

Before I have 1 blood red, 1 Blue Base, 2 Golden Helmet all together in 1 tank 2 mtrs long, after 1 month my blue base died from multiple injuries (lesson learned).

After deciding to keep each of them separately in a tank at least 60cm each. Once they are full adult, will design at least 3.5 mtrs long all together (27-29C each).

Although, next time I will buy a pure blue based xb, i know now what to do.

jon2016

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2016
Hello everyone, Having read a lot of post on here to get advise I have finally become a proud owner of 2 High Back Red Tails. I've had them for 2 days and they are settling in nicely. One is 6" the other 7". Trying to get them in the same shot is almost impossible. lol. At the moment I have them in a 4x2x2 but am planning a "King of DIY fishkeeper" joey plywood build of 6x3x3. Thanks to all for advise and ideas on this super cool site.View attachment 1208864 View attachment 1208865

it seems hybrid bluebase xb to me, I missed my dead hybrid blue base so much....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store