Ideas for cool water tank mates for Brasiliensis?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I would agree that any of the fish from Uruguay would work as far as temp goes.
Buenos Aires tetras would be a better fit than Lemons, because lemons are northern Brazilian warmer water species.
I kept Australoheros, and Gymnogeophagus in my none heated tanks. Or if you are not trying to be geographically correct, high altitude Mexican live bearers, or species from China would work such as Rosy barbs.
Australoheros"red Ceibal"

Gymnogeophagus quilero

Gymnogeophagus sp Paso Pache

Xenatoca eiseni, a cool water Mexican live bearer

and Gymnogeophagus balzani, with a cool water cory from Uruguay (C erhardti)
As mrroxc said, in a large enough tank, I believe Australoheros would work well.
Anything smaller than 100 gals, more cichlids might be a problem though, because all are territorial in nature. Maybe if they were all put in the same tank, at the same time, as juvie, and grew up together, but adding anything piecemeal to the braziliensus would put new cichlids at a definite disadvantage.
I was able to keep many Uruguayans together in a 100 gal 6ft tank without problems, but when ever I tried anything smaller it usually didn't end well.

above is the 100 gal tank with Australoheros, Gymnogeophagus, and Uruguayan Crenicichla saxatillis
those are great pix, duanes duanes - beautiful shots of some beautiful fish....Bravo

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Reactions: cichlidfish

RyanM

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2016
Canton, OH
The current tank I would have them in is a 92g corner, which isn't an ideal long term tank, but it wouldn't be out of the question to upgrade to a 5 or 6' 120 gallon soon.

Should I go with Sajicas or Amatitlania siquia (or both)?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store