Heaters for 600 gallon

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
I like the Aqueon Pro. I'm not sure of their record but I've run quite a few now and never had issues. Also I personally would rather run 4 than 2 because it will give you more time if one sticks on to solve the problem AND if one dies you only lose 1/4 wattage instead of 1/2. You have more points of failure but you also have points of redundancy.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I like the Aqueon Pro. I'm not sure of their record but I've run quite a few now and never had issues. Also I personally would rather run 4 than 2 because it will give you more time if one sticks on to solve the problem AND if one dies you only lose 1/4 wattage instead of 1/2. You have more points of failure but you also have points of redundancy.
My 600 is in my basement where the temp can potentially drop down to 40 in the winter so i dont know if 4 .....300 watt heaters can keep this thing at an acurate temp......the 2 laguna max flo 2900 return pumps do help give off a good amount of heat tho

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
Get 5 then haha. My point was more about the reasoning of using multiple smaller heaters instead of fewer large ones. There is a lot of disagreement on this topic so this is just my personal stance and reasoning behind it.

Also if you are concerned with the temps that further justifies my rationale as a big heater going out will be a much bigger problem faster than 1/4 or 1/5 of your heating system failing.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Get 5 then haha. My point was more about the reasoning of using multiple smaller heaters instead of fewer large ones. There is a lot of disagreement on this topic so this is just my personal stance and reasoning behind it.

Also if you are concerned with the temps that further justifies my rationale as a big heater going out will be a much bigger problem faster than 1/4 or 1/5 of your heating system failing.

I wouldnt want more then 4 lol that is ded catching on fire lmao

I understand what ur getting at but 1 of the heaters i was using could keep temps at bay if the other was to go faulty...i turned one off on purpose to check before.

The thing with this hobby is no matter how much u spend for top quality heaters they can still screw u lol

So stressful haha

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
They do seem to be the weakest points in most peoples systems. What about using a more commercial water heating system? I've used 1500w heating elements for making a parkerizing tank. They are just stainless elements that are pretty fool proof if you setup the controller correctly. It would be a bit of a job to build but I dont see why it wouldn't work. Should only cost like $100 if you don't splurge on the controller.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I tried finnex titanium and it died within 6 months. Loved the Aqueon pro but the biggest is 300 watt which is just too small for your tank unless you buy like 6. Ebojager is probably best. They are massive and I'm not the biggest fan but they are reasonably priced and you can get decent sized. If your sump is decent size then who cares how big they are.

Lots if people like the finnex titanium I might have just gotten unlucky.

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
I like the jbj truetemp heaters myself, have an 800 watt on a jbj controller that's been going good for two years, and a 500 on a reef octopus controller that's been running over a year now. There is a small caveat that the 800 usually doesn't turn on during the summer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store