upstate NY tank

Cheifwalnut

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2015
Schoharie New York
been thinking of taking my tropical down for a while now. I got bored with it. I want to keep some fish from my backyard so to speak. I have an abundance of pumpkinseed sunfish in a family farm pond. I was thinking of putting 2 of them in the 55. would that work out. I have 2 aqua clear 110 filters. for filtration. I was wondering I could also keep anything else with them without overstocking

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I had kept bluegill with pumpkinseeds. If you can find some stickelbacks they are cool with that mix too.

Cheifwalnut

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2015
Schoharie New York
I'm think 2 pumpkinseeds, a school of some smaller but not too small fish, and if I can find one. a smaller catfish. filled with a mixture of sand and gravel. native plants and driftwood.

Drx6x

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
IL
bull heads will eat plants and get to big for a 55. the pseeds might be a little cramped in a 55 as they can get to 10" but take awhile to get there. blue spots and banded sunfish are better for 55s as they are 4". being Enneacanthus they all so less agresive and would open up other tank matesstone cat gets too big for 55 as they can hit 12".

Brindled madtom is probably the best cat for the tank
a group of shinners go well with Lepomis sunfish (pseeds) as they compet well for food and reach a size where they won't become a snack especially if you get young pseeds to start.
flagfin shiner is my favorit

another good one is rainbow shiner.

another is Southern redbelly dace
Blackstripe topminnow are really nice as well and inhabit the top of the tank but might end up as food to full grown pseeds as there more slender.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
my 55 is a creek tank. Darters, dace etc etc. Well it was until I caught what I thought was a madtom and turned out to be a juvenile yellow bullhead which in turn then killed all remaining occupants lol.

young sunfish, 1.5-2", will last a while in a 55 but as stated can't stay for life. I've had my 3 p-seeds for close to 2 1/2 years and they are roughly 5 or 6" maybe. That's in a 310 gallon.

I say make a creek tank, everything can stay for life and its always lively. Dace, darters, shiners etc.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
bull heads will eat plants and get to big for a 55. the pseeds might be a little cramped in a 55 as they can get to 10" but take awhile to get there. blue spots and banded sunfish are better for 55s as they are 4". being Enneacanthus they all so less agresive and would open up other tank matesstone cat gets too big for 55 as they can hit 12".

Brindled madtom is probably the best cat for the tank
a group of shinners go well with Lepomis sunfish (pseeds) as they compet well for food and reach a size where they won't become a snack especially if you get young pseeds to start.
flagfin shiner is my favorit

another good one is rainbow shiner.

another is Southern redbelly dace
Blackstripe topminnow are really nice as well and inhabit the top of the tank but might end up as food to full grown pseeds as there more slender.
I have had sunfish of the Lepomis genus kill Creek Chubs and wild Shiners larger than themselves and devour them slowly over a period of a few days. I would make sure they're ALL food-trained before trying to add any cyprinids besides a carp. Sunfish can be highly aggressive - I keep a bait tank for sunfish separate from my other bait tank for Chubs, Shiners, Dace, Killifish, Suckers, etc because Sunfish can't be trusted

Drx6x

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
IL
wow had them kill a creek chub those guys are pretty tough. Lepomis can be hit or miss in attitude and defiantly a good idea to have them food trained 1st. also helps if you get them as babies and tank raise them. older wild caught tend to be more aggressive in my experience

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
wow had them kill a creek chub those guys are pretty tough. Lepomis can be hit or miss in attitude and defiantly a good idea to have them food trained 1st. also helps if you get them as babies and tank raise them. older wild caught tend to be more aggressive in my experience
Greens , Hybrid-Greens and Rockbass are the worst....all Sunfish will eat minnows like Fatheads, but Greens and Rockbass will try to swallow fish their own size. I have also caught 10" Bluegills on 6" crankbaits and 8" plastic worms, as well as 8" Rockbass on 6" Creek Chubs and Pike Shiners

Gluttonous pigs, I tell you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store