Cleaning biomedia for storage

thacarter546

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Midwest
So, I find myself in an odd situation. After switching filters I now have approximately 0.5 liter sintered glass rings, 0.5 liter Rena bio stars, 8 liters seachem matrix, 0.5 liter random ceramic rings and 2 liters of jebao small ceramic rings out of rotation. I want to clean it all and have it ready to use again. All of it is 8-9 years old and is clogged to heck. I can't imagine it being all that useful if I have it stored as is.

I searched and couldn't find much information on the topic. So I tried everything I found.

First was hot water rinses. Didnt work. Soaked it all in hot water for a couple days changing the water every time I remembered.

Second was a bleach soak. Nothing media all still dark brown after 8 hours.

Lastly I tried a strong h2o2 soak. In 15 minutes the media looks like the day I bought it.

I will rinse it over the next couple days and then soak it with water and a couple caps of prime. Then dry it and store it until needed (should be about 6 months or so).

On a side note I never wash my bio media when in use ever. The most it ever gets is backflushed when I empty my canisters.

bOOsteN aUdI

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
East Coast
I'd be careful with the bleach. Maybe try boiling the media at a low simmer for a prolonged period of time. Keep a close eye on it thought bc sintered glass breaks down.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Did you use regular household peroxide or lab grade to clean the media?

How much debris or junk did you notice leftover after the cleaning?

thacarter546

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Midwest
A lot. 4 rinses later and I'm still getting gunk. And just over the counter hydrogen peroxide.

So far the matrix is the guinea pig.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store