125 stocking

Imsobored152

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Palm Bay, Fl
My standard 125 is just about ready for fish. Yay. Filtration is no problem, has a wet dry rated for 300g. Total water volume is around 175g.
My only problem is the tank size. I love all the large cichlids, but doubt I could comfortably house all the ones I like full grown. So maybe 3 or 4 large ones, but.....thats not enough fish. I do like some of the smaller fish, but figure theyll get eaten.
I like the green terror, ebjd or reg jd, tiger oscar, green texas, severum. I know this is too many large fish, whats the most i can keep? What for sure wont work? Any smaller fish that can be kept with them? Id prefer something colorful, not plain. I do like yellow labs, seen them kept successfully.
Any input, or suggestions? Thanks

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
You could do a few severums and livebearers, or a pair of Oscar's with a few bottom dwellers, if you like large fish with small maybe try Paratheraps breidohri pair with a group of Thorichthys sp

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
My standard 125 is just about ready for fish. Yay. Filtration is no problem, has a wet dry rated for 300g. Total water volume is around 175g.
My only problem is the tank size. I love all the large cichlids, but doubt I could comfortably house all the ones I like full grown. So maybe 3 or 4 large ones, but.....thats not enough fish. I do like some of the smaller fish, but figure theyll get eaten.
I like the green terror, ebjd or reg jd, tiger oscar, green texas, severum. I know this is too many large fish, whats the most i can keep? What for sure wont work? Any smaller fish that can be kept with them? Id prefer something colorful, not plain. I do like yellow labs, seen them kept successfully.
Any input, or suggestions? Thanks
I would just do all 5 that you mentioned, but stick to a normal male JD for that group. If overcrowding bothers you, which it would BARELY be - just get a female Green Terror. Smaller, but much nastier than the males, can easily run the whole tank w/ a bunch of sissy fish like you mentioned

Imsobored152

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Palm Bay, Fl
I would just do all 5 that you mentioned, but stick to a normal male JD for that group. If overcrowding bothers you, which it would BARELY be - just get a female Green Terror. Smaller, but much nastier than the males, can easily run the whole tank w/ a bunch of sissy fish like you mentioned
Thanks, but 5 fish just isn't enough :) . Are there any sub 6" fish that would survive the big 5? I'd like some quicker colorful movement as well mixed in with the large fish if at all possible.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
OP what about salvini? I have never had any issues w/ an individual fish in a 6' tank.
Honestly I would do a JD, salvini and a group of thorichthys (6). Maybe add a school of BA tetras. This would be a colorful tank.

Reactions: Imsobored152

Imsobored152

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Palm Bay, Fl
OP what about salvini? I have never had any issues w/ an individual fish in a 6' tank.
Honestly I would do a JD, salvini and a group of thorichthys (6). Maybe add a school of BA tetras. This would be a colorful tank.
I like the salvini suggestion, beautiful fish. thanks! Looks like the tetras eat plants. Im thinking with this new SA direction, that i'd add some live plants to the tank
Do any of the fish ive mentioned eat live plants? other than the tetras?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store