Identify your North American Native Fish

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
Can anybody ID this guy? I know he's a bluegill/sunfish type thing, I've been told he's a warmouth but I'm not so convinced. I had a pair originally, caught them in the spring and they actually spawned in my tank (my crayfish ate the eggs ). Instead of spawning again the male (the one in the picture) had a weird mood swing and killed the female, so now I only have one (he's in my turtle tank now)
IMG_2425.JPG

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Can anybody ID this guy? I know he's a bluegill/sunfish type thing, I've been told he's a warmouth but I'm not so convinced. I had a pair originally, caught them in the spring and they actually spawned in my tank (my crayfish ate the eggs ). Instead of spawning again the male (the one in the picture) had a weird mood swing and killed the female, so now I only have one (he's in my turtle tank now)
View attachment 1211633
it's definitely at least PART Green Sunfish, a good possibility it's just a drab colored Green, not really any characteristics that scream "hybrid"

Reactions: TroyMIfishkeeper

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Green sunfish,most grow about 6 inches,but some grow to over 12. Can be rather aggressive.? They eat pellets,crickets,Phoenix worms, or basically everything's NGOs I've ever tried to feed them.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
View attachment 1211633
greenXbgill hybrid is my guess. has characteristics of both for sure.

Reactions: TroyMIfishkeeper
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store