Picking up a tirignus

Keemofish4ever

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2015
The Car
Anything I can do to better prepared myself I'dk if i should of but did a 25% waterchange today everything was good...my waterflow is up as high as it could be plenty of oxygen... my ph is like 7.5 is that too high? I guess I'm worried about the feeding part the most it's a 9 inch tig

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Make sure parameters are intact. Thats bout it. It will eventually eat after it's settled. That can take a while.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yup.

Ammonia zero.
Nitrite zero.
Nitrate 5-10 ppm or less.
pH stable. 7.5 is fine.
Water hardness is not too low and is stable.
Temp stable.
Plentiful aeration.
Filter is not heavily soiled.
Tank's well established.
There is cover as well as free swimming space.
Other fish thrive in the tank... for an additional safety margin.

Most important are morning and evening prayers.

Keemofish4ever

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2015
The Car
Okay im trippen out a little
Ammonia zero
Nitrite looks like 0.25?
Nitrate 0

Also wat do u mean by filter not heavily soiled

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Are you sure?

Nitrite of non-zero means your tank's not cycled or the bioload exceeds the biofilter capacity... or the filter is too dirty or the water entering the filter is not aerated adequately, etc. The last sentiment is of utmost importance - one of the most overlooked factors in setting up as best a biofilter as humanely possible.

Nitrate of zero cannot be in a populated tank or in a tank that has been cycle - bacteria need to eat, the end result of the eating is nitrate. No nitrate = no bacteria or dormant bacteria.

If the filter needs cleaning or will need soon, it'd be better to do it before acquiring new expensive fish because not rarely would it lead to a notable short-term uncycledness.

Reactions: Dee eng

Keemofish4ever

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2015
The Car
Are you sure?

Nitrite of non-zero means your tank's not cycled or the bioload exceeds the biofilter capacity... or the filter is too dirty or the water entering the filter is not aerated adequately, etc. The last sentiment is of utmost importance - one of the most overlooked factors in setting up as best a biofilter as humanely possible.

Nitrate of zero cannot be in a populated tank or in a tank that has been cycle - bacteria need to eat, the end result of the eating is nitrate. No nitrate = no bacteria or dormant bacteria.

If the filter needs cleaning or will need soon, it'd be better to do it before acquiring new expensive fish because not rarely would it lead to a notable short-term uncycledness.
Okay so I have a problem my readings are bad from that api master kit
Ammonia now saying 0.25
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate is saying either 40 or maybe even 80
Now in scared haha
I have fish in my tank already rather not lose any of them
My tap water reads nitrate is 0
I did a test yesterday everything was good but I did a waterchange n added a rock n change filter sock n now it is all bad

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Well, only you can really figure it out why these funny measurements.

Maybe your kit is old or hasn't been stored properly capped in a cool, dry, and dark place?

I assume you condition your tap water before pouring it in the tank.

Clean rocks of usual kind cannot change the ammonia etc. readings. Neither should changing of the filter sock which only filters out particles and is not involved in biofiltration.

In any event, the readings should be measured reliably and must be stable:

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5-10 ppm or less
pH
temp
hardness

... only then one may say they have got the most basic things down to get ready for a tig arrival.

You could use LFS service to double check your measurement too or have a friendly colleague measure your tank water too.

Reactions: Dee eng

Keemofish4ever

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2015
The Car
Yeah your right just sucks because it's been right until now. Thank you for all your help I'll you know when I get it right haha

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
? I must be missing something.

In my book it didn't suck, as you eloquently put it (teasing yah). You have seriously lucked out - you have found some latent / potential problems before bringing home a very expensive fish so you have now far better chances of success.

How does this suck, blow, or how is this otherwise windy?

:)

Keemofish4ever

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2015
The Car
? I must be missing something.

In my book it didn't suck, as you eloquently put it (teasing yah). You have seriously lucked out - you have found some latent / potential problems before bringing home a very expensive fish so you have now far better chances of success.

How does this suck, blow, or how is this otherwise windy?

:)

Haha this is true but I do have other fish in the aquarium but they are all doing great still swimming, eating, glowing in color... except a ntt he eating he jus dark as can be tho haha

I did another waterchange this moring see how it turns out... how long do would you wait to take a water test?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store